Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mixing versions of ACT

Mixing versions of ACT

I am currently running ACT Premium 2008 EX on several of my workstations.   If in a year or so from now I decied to add ACT to a couple more workstations will I have to upgrade all of my workstations to the latest version of ACT?  Is it not possible to run differnet versions of ACT in an EX environment where 10 or so computers are accessing a singel SQL Express database? 
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Mixing versions of ACT

Yes, you can have an ACT! SQL instance host database versions of 9.0 thru 10.x concurrently.  You will likely be able to also host version 11.x databases (ACT! 2009), as well.  On the machine you can launch ActDiag (Start>Run>ActDiag) and go to the Database List panel.  From there you can choose the Actions menu option, then Attach Database.  This allows you to attach (bring online) a 9.x database if 2008 (10.x) is installed, for example. 

Also, each database can be updated (such as with inline service packs and hotfixes) independently from each other.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Will this work if only one database is used?  All of my users access one database that is installed on a specific workstation (acting as a server).  Their local database (installed on their computers) is not used for any data.
Copper Super Contributor

So, "it depends" Smiley Happy

We make every attempt to make inline releases (service packs/updates) "backward compatible" with earlier versions of the same major release.  For example, I upgrade one copy of ACT! to version 10.01 which then upgrades the database to 10.01.  Another user, still running 10.0, will be allowed to connect to that 10.01 database and use it.

That being said, the next upcoming 10.02 release will not be compatible in the manner that I just described due to some architectural, metadata changes.

Hope that helps.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Platinum Elite Contributor

semaj wrote:
I am currently running ACT Premium 2008 EX on several of my workstations.   If in a year or so from now I decied to add ACT to a couple more workstations will I have to upgrade all of my workstations to the latest version of ACT?  Is it not possible to run differnet versions of ACT in an EX environment where 10 or so computers are accessing a singel SQL Express database? 

ever since the begining of ACT! ... all workstations access the same database in ACT! need to be the same version.

So either plan for the user increase and buy additional licenses or maybe buy upgrade insureance with your licenses to make it easy to upgrade

Bill wrote:
Yes, you can have an ACT! SQL instance host database versions of 9.0 thru 10.x concurrently.  You will likely be able to also host version 11.x databases (ACT! 2009), as well.  On the machine you can launch ActDiag (Start>Run>ActDiag) and go to the Database List panel.  From there you can choose the Actions menu option, then Attach Database.  This allows you to attach (bring online) a 9.x database if 2008 (10.x) is installed, for example. 

Also, each database can be updated (such as with inline service packs and hotfixes) independently from each other.

I've never heard of this being done, but I think it's different from the question being asked.

But anyway, I see a problem with this in that some functions have to be run on the local server... how will ACT! 10 perform those functions on an ACT! 9 database? Backup, Sync, Restore, etc...

Is this supported, Bill? It would scare me to recommend it
Copper Super Contributor

A 10.x version of the ACT! client can open, but MUST update, a 9.x database/schema version.  However, other client machines which are still running 9.x of the ACT! client can continue to use their 9.x database just fine. 

Since 9.0, we have largely been able to support, for example, a 9.0 ACT! for Web server able to connect to and use a database which had been updated to 9.0a, or 9.01.

You cannot cross major versions (9.x - 10.x). 

There are some "common" server-side procedures which co-exist to allow functionality such as backups, database checks, etc.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

So, as long as you don't open the 9.0x db in 10, it will work (obviously not for sync either)?