Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Missing client record in Sage ACT! Pro 2011

Missing client record in Sage ACT! Pro 2011

Hi -- I just got a call from one of the folks in the office that they have discovered a client record is missing (I'm assuming it was accidentally deleted, but don't know for sure).

1)  Is there a way to tell if it was deleted accidentally?

2)  Is there a way to recover just this one client record?

We do have a backup, but it's a couple of weeks old, so if we can restore (export/import, whatever) the one client, that is highly preferred.

Sorry, I don't know ACT! very well, but help out this office with their IT functions.  So, I'm just looking for ways to proceed.

thanks,

greg

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Missing client record in Sage ACT! Pro 2011

Hi Greg,

You might find it as "Contact Deleted" in the History of the user that deleted it but it can't be restored apart from a backup.

There is a double warning before Contacts are deleted.

I always tell users that the Act! messages are in meaningful English and should always be read carefully.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Hi David --

I will be cutting/pasting your reminder to the staff.   I'll go onsite and check the deleted contacts and do a restore as.

If it doesn't show in 'Contact deleted', I'll update and see about possible reasons...but more on that to follow. 

thanks a bunch.

greg

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Greg,

You could restore it from a backup before the deletion by restoring that backup under a new name (NOT TO RESTORE OVER YOUR MAIN DB!), looking up that Contact and exporting it to your main database.

I've done this before with success so good luck!

David Shaw

Hi David --

I definitely learned alot:

1)  History reports are pretty cool and easy to use.  The contact wasn't there ( and wasn't deleted).

2)  "Restore as" is pretty easy, but not always obvious.  I first tried to export as a comma delimited text file, imported and...the contact was there, but no history.  So, I exported from restored db to active db and that worked fine, copied all the history, etc.  Very nice, but the best thing about it:

3)  When it went to do the restore/mege to the active db, it found the old record, which somehow had been changed to a different name.  So, I cancelled the merge, updated the name and...all is good.  Guessing this must have been done outside the range of my history report, since the 'accidental name change'  didn't show up in the report.

At any rate...thanks a bunch.  You showed me some new items in ACT!...nice to see some of it in action and have a happy ending.

Also, set up the ACT Scheduler for the backups...I had just been doing manuals, so this should be 'more betterer'.

thanks,

greg

Bronze Super Contributor

Glad to help you Greg.

That's what we ACCs do for our clients.

Enjoy and pass the word along!

David Shaw