Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Missing Manage Product List, Teams, Relationships, defined field security after Save As empty Copy DB

Accepted Solution Solved
JM
Nickel Contributor
Accepted Solution

Missing Manage Product List, Teams, Relationships, defined field security after Save As empty Copy DB

As of Prem. Ver. 19.1 I could not find a post about this so wonder what is ACT! priority or even know about these.  I bring this up because you create empty copy DB to address corruption or need multiple DB's.  As for field security it's not that they are not propagated, but you only have them defined for the Admin contact record. Need a way during import of other Users into new copy for the Teams in the field to get defined rights (No Access, Read, Full Access) restored.

JM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JM
‎06-23-2017 10:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Missing Manage Product List, Teams, Relationships, defined field security after Save As empty Copy DB

[ Edited ]

Hi JM,

This has now been logged as defect D-07128.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Re: Missing Manage Product List, Teams, Relationships, defined field security after Save As empty Copy DB

Hi JM,

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question. Please could you try rephrasing, or formatting your question with Reproduction Steps > Actual Behaviour > Expected Behaviour.
JM
Nickel Contributor

Hi Gary No problem,

Say your DB has corruption or need another DB with different name to run tests or for Marketing purpose. You need to create a new DB to import from old DB into the new DB. There are a few more things to do after the Save-As Empty Copy which will only have the Admin User (me) record. Some of the things in the new DB I had to create are:
Tools | Defined Fields- recreate Manage Product List have to export the list from old DB then import it into new DB.

Tools | Manage Teams re-create the Team after you import the other ACT User account records.

Tools | Define Fields | Field Security after importing Users and create the Team. I have to go to each field that has a field security (see Pic) and manually change in the Teams Tab for Read Only Teams to Access Read Only.

Lastly, but noted in ACT! KB, no way during Import of Contact, Company, Oppt. ect to bring back the defined Contact Record | Tab Relationships |Related Contact that has 2 or more Contact records listed with.

Pic1 reason I do a Read Only Team.  To define some fields so I or other Users don't accidentally change data value.  If I need to change a Contact Record(s) Field(s) value or import from CSV or DB-DB records all I have to do is remove my record in the list of Read-Only Team.

JM

FieldSecurity.jpg

Administrator

Hi JM,

You have made some valid observations, although I believe all of these points are working as designed. Please see below for some further explanations on each of your points.

When you save an empty copy of the database, only the database structure is retained, and no data is included.

• Products Lists are considered data as they are individual items contained within a larger subset of data, and not part of the database structure, and therefore not included. The export and import options should make quick work of transferring them between databases though.
  • Since only one user (the administrator) is added to the copy database, it is logically reasonable that no teams are included, as there would be no users assigned to them.
  • Field security is linked directly to users and teams. Since this user data isn't transferred to the empty copy, any custom team or user security assignments cannot be included as their referenced users/teams do not exist yet.
  • As for importing contact relationships, these should be included when importing Contacts, Companies and Opportunities together all as one action. If this isn't working for you, please post the steps you're taking to export/import the data.
JM
Nickel Contributor

Gary,

Thank you for the feedback on the points.

If it were possible to make it easier to recover Fields Security settings after exporting into new DB the User Accounts that would be my wish.  Because I have over 80 fields I have to go into each one that at least shows the padlock icon and just get the Team security reset from Full to Read Only.  Such as a group of fields to select and change one time.

As of Prem V19.2 using the demo DB and defined a few records with Relationship still not able to recover Relationships into new DB.

Save As Empty DB and for User selected Chris Huffman.

Open new DB to initialize it then close it.

Open old DB, Export from it into new DB the Lookup of Users Accounts, Options set as Merge and Add.

Went back to New DB no  Relationships seen so jump back to Old DB.

Then did export All Contacts into New DB. I checked again still no relationship.

Then did from Old into New all the other Tables (Company, Group, Oppt.), but in New still nothing.

JM

Administrator

Hi JM,

The exporting and importing of field security would be a great suggestion for our Share Your Ideas board.

As for contact relationships not being retained on a full database export/import, I've replicated this issue in v19.2 update 1 and have submitted this for further investigation. I'll post again when I have more details to share.

Solution
Accepted by topic author JM
‎06-23-2017 10:27 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi JM,

This has now been logged as defect D-07128.