Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migrating Act 2012 to a new server

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Migrating Act 2012 to a new server

Hello All,

We currently have ACT 2012 Premium DB's in a SQL 2008 R2 instance and are looking to sun set that server and migrate the DB's to a remote desktop Windows Server 2012 r2 that users will all use to access locally.  I've tried migrating the DB's by backing up the DB's through File > Database > Backup however it creates a zip file that only has information to the share from the current server, not an actual backup of the Db that I can go on the new server in ACT and go to File > DB > Restore.  The new server we don't want to install any SQL for but my understanding was that SQL Express 2008 came with the ACT installation and can be used.  Is what I'm doing possible and I'm just missing steps?

thanks,

Mike

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author mmatook
‎07-05-2018 08:17 AM
Administrator

Re: Migrating Act 2012 to a new server

That's correct, we do have a KB on manually creating the ACT SQL instance (it needs to be setup in a very particular way for Act! to recognise it) - however, it's slow and fiddly to do this manually, and usually it's far easier to just uninstall and reinstall Act!

Without an existing SQL instance, Act! will install the necessary SQL components and configure them automatically during install.

If you really want to, or you have any issues with the usual method, the below KB outlines how to set up SQL manually:

KB 26994 - How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

One important note: Act! 2012 is only compatible with SQL Server 2008R2. Often this is a limiting factor when upgrading servers because SQL 2008R2 is not supported on Windows 10 or Server 2016.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

You would need to install Act on the new server and yes, that will install SQL Express. You then restore the database by using File/Restore and choosing the second option, Restore As.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted

I have ACT installed on the new server and I have the zip file copied over to the new server however I don't have an option to go to File > Restore > Restore As until I log into a DB.  I'm not sure if I need to select New Database first then do the restore but that option is grayed out.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

that's not correct. You do not have to be in a database to restore a database. You might try closing Act, right-clicking the icon and choosing Run As Administrator.
Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted

restore is grayed out as well even when run from administrator

NoRestore.png

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Is the SQL service running?

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted

That is the weird part, I don't see anything for SQL Express in services.  The SQL that is showing is from a SQL instance I tried installing from SQL express from Microsoft's website.  How can I get the SQL Express version that comes with the installation of ACT? Services.png

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

ah ha.  Not sure why you installed SQL from Microsoft's site but that would be your issue. You need to remove it and probably Act as well and reinstall.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author mmatook
‎07-05-2018 08:17 AM
Administrator

That's correct, we do have a KB on manually creating the ACT SQL instance (it needs to be setup in a very particular way for Act! to recognise it) - however, it's slow and fiddly to do this manually, and usually it's far easier to just uninstall and reinstall Act!

Without an existing SQL instance, Act! will install the necessary SQL components and configure them automatically during install.

If you really want to, or you have any issues with the usual method, the below KB outlines how to set up SQL manually:

KB 26994 - How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

One important note: Act! 2012 is only compatible with SQL Server 2008R2. Often this is a limiting factor when upgrading servers because SQL 2008R2 is not supported on Windows 10 or Server 2016.