Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migrate host server to domain security from P2P... Issues?

Migrate host server to domain security from P2P... Issues?

Hi All

I'm fairly new to Act! and to the forum.

I have a question regarding the issues I may run into when migrating a Act! 2012 Premium host server to a domain security model.

The server is currently running Windows 2008 R2 and has Act! installed and is using using MS SQL 2008 R2 Express Edition.

We want to convert the server to a domain controller, but I'm concerned about Act!.

Will I have to re-install Act! and restore the DB after promoting the server

or

Will our existing install survive and just require changes to the DB users?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Silver Contributor

Re: Migrate host server to domain security from P2P... Issues?

Ir really depends on what changes are made. ACT doesn't use Active directory security, so adding that to the server should not have a factor. IT will break ACT if you rename the server, and there is always a chance that something done would cause you to loose functionality in ACT.

It is something that you will probably be ok, but something you should go over with your IT provider and your aCT consultant.

depending on how ACT is deployed, you may or may not want to place ACT on a domain controller.  The number of users is a factor here as well as you are adding to  a load to the server by causing it to act as a domain controller.

Also, depending on how you utilize ACT you may make a different decision. For example if are using ACT for Web, it  is not reccomended that you do this on a domain controller.

Just to be save, back your database up and do it during a time when your users can live without ACT while you transition..  If you have the resources, i'd try for a seperate box for ACT and would try NOT to have to place it on a domain controller.  but many people do.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Elite Contributor

You say Domain Controller but is this going to be an SBS server with Exchange etc? If so like the previous correspondent I strongly recommend having ACT on a separate box and if it is ACT for web NEVER run on an SBS or domain controller.

Thanks for your responses.

The server is NOT SBS and will not run Exchange.

I don't have the option to run Act! on a second server at this point.

The configurationis currently just peer-to-peer networking and the owner wants better security, so we're moving to a domin model.

My concern was with the account(s) used in conjunction with the MS SQL EE database.  If it is using a local account now, that account will not be valid after converting the server to a DC...

Matt W