Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Migrate ACT 9.0/win 2000 server to ACT 2011 premium/Win 2008 server

phz

Migrate ACT 9.0/win 2000 server to ACT 2011 premium/Win 2008 server

I am new to this software.

Presently, we are having ACT 9.0 on a win 2000 server, 5 users has ACT 9.0 installed and local databases in their XP laptops and sync up with the server weekly. Because of a different reason, we need to upgrade all our users to win 7 64 bits laptops. So we decided to purchase ACT 2011 premium and do a whole upgrade. The server is to be replaced by a window 2008 32 bit server. My questions:

what is a best  procedure to do the upgrade with minimum downtime to uses and without any potential databases crashes?

will win7 64 bit laptop be able to sync up with the 2008 32 bit server in the future?

I was going to copy the database folder over from the old server to the new server, I got a sharing violation error. So please tell me a right procedure to do this.

Thanks,

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Migrate ACT 9.0/win 2000 server to ACT 2011 premium/Win 2008 server

Hello PHZ,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Suggestions for upgrading to the new server and reducing downtime:

1. To test your installation of ACT! on the new server (not go-live), you can use the Backup/Restore function to restore a copy of the database onto the new server.  This will verify the installation is successful.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 19211

Note: Use the Restore AS option and give the database a different name than it has on the old server.  A different name will be important to prevent conflicts with the next step.

2. Since you have remote databases synchronizing, you will need to move the Publisher (main) database to the new server and then update the existing remotes.  Here is an article with instructions for this: KB Article 19817

The 2 systems can sync.

Greg Martin
Sage
phz

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it worked until step 2. While I was following your KB to change the remore database location,when I clicked manage databases, I saw an empty list.  I have the older server still running and I clicked the same button and I saw a list of databases. The database list was lost in the process of back up/restore, then upgrade process. How to resolve this?

Step 1 was just a way to test your installation of ACT! on the new server. Using the backup/restore option does remove the remote database information.
You will need to follow the steps in article 19817 - 'how to retain synchronization' - to copy the database from the old server to the new. The copy steps will retain the remote information.
Greg Martin
Sage
phz

in you KB 19211: How to Back Up and Restore an ACT! Database, there are following notes on how to give remote database users privilege to back up remote database, but how to add remote administration perssmisstion to user profile in ACT 2011 premium? I only see selections of restricted, standard, manager, administrator in security role when I click edit user information. Is the remote administrator the same role as administrator?

Important Note Regarding Remote Databases:
The database backup function is only available to Administrator and Manager level database users. However, with a remote database, a Standard level user can backup their remote if they have Remote Administration as an added permission in their user profile.

'Remote Administration' is an option found in the definitions of an ACT! username.  It can be found in Tools > Manage Users > double click on a username > click Next 2 times to display 'Add Permissions' screen. 

You can only update the user on the Publisher/host database, and the next sync will update the authority to the remote.  If you are not able to sync and want to backup the database, you (the ACT! administrator) can sign onto the remote and perform the backup.

Greg Martin
Sage
phz

Got it. Thanks for help.