Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft Windows XP announced discontinued support. What does this mean for ACT

Astute Commentator

Microsoft Windows XP announced discontinued support. What does this mean for ACT

Found this article (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help) and interested to get some feedback about possible concerns that could be associated with the lack of support given by Microsoft for the operating system. I understand most people would have moved on from XP but for those who still use the wonderful OS, are there any concerns or plans that I should consider? I am definately looking at upgrade costs for all of the machines here at the office but it may take some time to get that together. I want to be prepared for April 8th. Your help and dialog are appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Microsoft Windows XP announced discontinued support. What does this mean for ACT

There won't be any immediate effect for any installs of XP, the main thing is that no future updates will be made. By the way I stayed with XP for a long time and skipped Vista, I found that Windows 7 took some getting used to but now I much prefer it to XP. I do have XP installed on a virtual machine and still use XP to run a legacy version of the ACT! program. I much prefer Windows 7.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Microsoft Windows XP announced discontinued support. What does this mean for ACT

I feel like I am losing a long lost friend :'-(

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Tuned Listener

So,

For a small business running smoothly on Win XP, is it essential that they upgrade to (Win &, Win 8.1?) before April ?

Or can they keep on going for a while longer...

thanks, Blair

Blair Reischer
ACT! Certified Consultant, ACT! Premier Trainer
Arlington, VA
703 241 7857
blair@mkt-magic.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

I would say that if you're running a third party anti-virus program there would be no real urgency to upgrade.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Why wouldn't you upgrade and get the use of a modern operating system now rather than run the risk of a virus or malware targeting an unsupported product ? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog