Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft SQL Server

Tuned Listener

Microsoft SQL Server

Hello,

I'm hoping someon can help me with this problem.  I had a touchscreen pc and the screen went out.  My neighbor took my hard drive and stuck it in another computer.  Since then I am unable to get into my ACT Database.

When I even tried to open a new company it states no connection to the Microsoft SQL Server.

Does anyone know what its talking about and does anyone have a solution for me...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mary

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Microsoft SQL Server

Most likely the issue is that the new machine name is different from the old one, and so opening with the old pad file won't work.  You will need to open with the adf file. 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23392 

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Tuned Listener

It wont even let me open the demo or create a new company. Would this still be the problem?
Platinum Super Contributor

If ACT! was installed on the new computer before attempting to open the database, be sure that the SQL Server (ACT7) service is running.  Instructions are in this article: KB Article 28216

If you simply took the old hard drive and put it into a new computer without going through the installation process for ACT! (includes SQL), there will be a lot of 'pieces' missing.  In this situation, it would be best to uninstall ACT! and SQL > then reinstall ACT! (SQL will be included).

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Ill have to uninstall and reinstall. Problem is I participated in the beta testing and received one free license. I don't have a disk to reinstall. And I've gone over and over my emails can't find the one of where I go. Just found the one giving me my registeration number.

If you can send me a Private Note with your serial number, I'll send you a link to download the installation files.  I just need the s/n to verify the version of ACT!.

To send a Private Note: click on my username (gmartin), then select the 'Send this user a private message' in the right hand column.

Greg Martin
Sage

Please see your Private Notes for the download link.

Other questions posted:

What is the best way to save this to a disk so if I have to reinstall it? And when I uninstall it will not take away my database or attachments right?

For the install files, you can copy the downloaded file to a USB/Thumb drive or burn it to a DVD for later use (hopefully you won't need it). 

In normal/default situations, the uninstall process will not affect the database or attachments.  They would only be affected if they were in the "C:\Program Files\ACT" folder.  To ensure they are not deleted, you can copy the files and place them into a 'safe' folder or onto a usb drive.  You can't have enough backups!

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

i've uninstalled ACT but noticed the files all still sitting in my documents under ACT even the exe file.  I went to the message you sent me to reinstall it and the same thing keeps happening.  So I have again uninstalled ACT. but still see the folder sitting in my documents.  When I go to uninstall programs ACT isn't there.

What do I do next?

Thank you,'

Mary

Tuned Listener

2 computers and I can't get ACT to open...first I thought it was just the desktop I went to open the lap top that syncs with the desktop and I get some strange error message on that one...

I've deleted ACt on both computers and reinstalled it...still not working

Pleaseeee any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

Tuned Listener

I did a screen shot of the the error I'm getting on my lap top which is the remote computer, I useally sinc it with the desk top.

Does anyone know what this means and what I can do to solve the problem.