Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Metadata tags - ACT!10.0 Premium and Office 2007

Metadata tags - ACT!10.0 Premium and Office 2007

I am new here and new to ACT.

Question: The Documents tab
Can I add columns in the documents tab to show the metadata tags (properties and custom properties) of an Office document?
The reason for this madness is we use unique, numerical serial numbers for our file names and then use properties (metadata tags) to describe the contents of the files. We use these properties for advanced searching in other applications (MS SharePoint Server), rather than relying on a complex file naming convention to show what the files contain.

scottmandoo

PS I am running XP Pro

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Metadata tags - ACT!10.0 Premium and Office 2007

Hi Mike

Thanks for the tip, but I'm no developer and need an off the shelf solution.

The reason for wanting to use metadata fields in the Documents tab is so that you can sort by each field.

So for instance if I wanted to search by document category, I could click the field header and I could organise all my documents.

So quotes would be together,  spec sheets together, pro-forma invoices together etc.

It would be handy if there was a library card for each entry too where restricted fields could be attached to a document as a metadata field when it got entered into ACT!. So for instance, if I only had two types of document, a quote and an invoice, I would select what the metadata field entry should be from a drop down menu in a library card, so there would be no risk of differnt SpEllInGs From DiFeReNt users, (affecting sorting).

:-)  

Maybe this should go into the suggestion box for future releases...

Scott Houston

Platinum Elite Contributor

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

I just don't know how many users would use it and therefore if Sage would add it.

If it's really important, you might look at paying a developer to do it for you... and if you think others would buy it, work a deal to get a % back on sales to anyone else?