Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Message on screen says Product Update but nothing happens when I click it

Copper Elite Contributor

Message on screen says Product Update but nothing happens when I click it

Hi there,

I found the time to update ACT! to v19.1. The Product Update message appears on the screen but nothing happens  when I "click here". Yes, I have a subscription.

Is this personal or is the server out of action? Very frustrating when trying to be productive.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen Buckland
stephenbuckland@gmail.com
Administrator

Re: Message on screen says Product Update but nothing happens when I click it

Hi Stephen,

I'm not sure why the link isn't working in the software.
You can access the downloads centre directly here: https://www.act.com/resources/downloads
The update file is not region specific.
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still happening. Especially annoying as on at least one PC the download window appears then I'm encouraged to backup my files. After doing so I get the popup window but no action after I click on it. Surely there could be a more reliable way of updating? Further where do I download the full version of v20 Premium so I can apply the updates?

Thanks

Stephen Buckland
Administrator

It certainly should be relatively hassle-free to do these update, sorry you're having so much trouble.

I'm wondering if maybe the update is being blocked by a third-party service, like an antivirus or other security software?

Either way, you can always find the most up to date version of Act! at http://act.com/download
Copper Elite Contributor

I think the issues come from debris left behind from previous ACT! installations. After trying to reinstall v19 but being told there was a previous version to uninstall I eventually did a manual uninstall per http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38233 using the instructions for v18. I then successfully installed v20.

Time consuming and not for the faint hearted but I hope it gets easier from here.

Even when straight forward you have to manually uninstall web.api, reboot, uninstall V19, possibly reboot again so v20 will be installed seems long winded and I wouldn't have undertaken this until the New Year had I realised it was a major upgrade. Warn users in future, please. Even Microsoft warns users major upgrades may take a long time.

Stephen Buckland
Administrator

We'll certainly take that feedback on board.

There have been changes to the way the web API installs in v20, which means that it is fully packaged into the install now - so future installs and uninstalls should at least be easier in that respect.
Bronze Elite Contributor

I am still manually uninstalling the v19 API (If it was installed as an option) before going to ACT V20 as it seems ACT is not able to uninstall the existing API as part of the ACT V20 upgrade from V19 . No problem where the API was not installed as part of V19.