Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merging Duplicates

Merging Duplicates

Is there any way to merge duplicates easily without having to do it one by one?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Merging Duplicates

Yes but it requires a third party product.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

There are a couple of products that do this, here is our choice http://www.egenconsulting.com/egcproducts.html

General training principle:  it's far easier to prevent duplicates than to try and eliminate them.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Super Contributor

Yup, what Jon said.

The dup check tool at http://egenconsulting.com/egcproducts.html is what I'd use for getting rid of lots of dups.

Ben.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

General training tip offered in this discussion about preventing duplicates is better than trying to fix them...that's not a productive comment.  That's the best that can be said for it.  I'm good with databases and sometimes you have no choice but to import records and wind up with duplicates no matter how you map and check and merge, etc.  eGrabber no longers offers their product for ACT v2013 "or any subsequent versions" according to the customer service person there.  The only other one I can find now besides the Egen Consulting product is ACT Duplicates Cleaner shareware which does not run in ACT 2013.  Re the Egen product:  I just watched the demo video on Egen Consulting web site.  It did not mention the ability to merge records, just match potential duplicates and then blow away all but one preferred record.  Apparently no option to carefully study the matched records and merge into the final record important information which duplicate records may have.  All I can see that happens is that data that is blown away is placed in a Note.  Now, I may have missed something, but I watched it twice.  It made me nervous with respect to losing needed data.  If there is a thoughtful way to merge, the demo video did not cover it.  Then there is the $149 cost with no trial period.  For me this is close-but-no-cigar.  I understand Patricia Egen contributes here in the ACT community, but I need reassurance her software does more than is presented on the Egen web site.  If I've missed something, please tell me what I missed and how I missed it.  The duplicate merge/purge need is great and there is precious little offered to do it.  The default program in ACT is abominable.  I just don't get it.  Merge/purge is a critical function for databases.

Platinum Elite Contributor

GEt the Egan product. They have four levels and at the highest level it will even merge the data in multi select fields.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Robert said:

"The default program in ACT is abominable.  I just don't get it.  Merge/purge is a critical function for databases."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe the basic merge/purge process in ACT! could be improved.

Robert, in your experience, can you point out a similar priced product to ACT! that you have found provides the features you describe and at no additional cost?    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Elite Contributor

I have been using Pat and Don's Duplicate Checking Wizard for years and swear by it. I can't say I have looked at the documentation lately but one point you missed (or maybe it is not in the video) is that ANY data that is "stepped on" ie a phone number that is different in 2 (or more) records is put into an ACT Note for the remaining record. So you do not have to worry if you picked the wrong record to remain because ALL the data will be available in that record.

Bob Kennedy

Kenbar Solutions

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Copper Contributor

No, Graeme, I haven't. I know what you are getting at.  However, since I quickly was made a pariah in these boards by one of the ACT consultants, which I had no intent to do, I will not say anything more or post anything more in the ACT community. If I irritated the consulting group, I apologize. I'll just keep using ACT without help from its tech support or this ACT community. Im on my own. Over and out.

Silver Contributor

The comment about a general training principle was not directed at you but was meant to give further "best practices" to the many others who lurk these boards

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider