Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merging Databases- problem same field definition but different drop down

Merging Databases- problem same field definition but different drop down

I am trying to merge three different databases, all with the same contact list but are used in different departments into on database where there will be three different layouts for each department.  The problem I ran into when I was looking over the field list there is one field defined with the same name in two of the three but uses a different drop down list.  I don't want to loose the data from either database any suggestions as to the best way to work around this problem?  

I am in just the planning stages of the move so any suggestions would be a great help.  

I am on ACT premium 2011, I know this is no longer supported by ACT. 

Silver Contributor

Re: Merging Databases- problem same field definition but different drop down

before you merge, rename the fields that are common in name but have different purposes.  Make sure and add the new field to the "target" database.  Most likely, you will need to reimport or recreate the dropdownlist.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Simply renaming the field will fix the problem, I don't have to redefine them?    

In previous versions when we have redefined a field not so good things happened, we lost all the current data in the field.  

As for the drop downs I figured I would have to recreate those.

Silver Contributor

Well for sure, make backups of everything before you start.

But for example if you used the user1 field for baseballteams, footballteams and basketballteams.  prior to the merge, I would do the following.

Baseballdatabase rename user1 to baseballteams

footballteam databse renam user1 to football team

basketballteam database (use this database as your target database.

rename user1 to basketballteams

add field baseballteam

addfield football team

when you merge baseballteam database to the target database the source field baseballteam will be there and will match to the destination field of the same name.

My sugestion is to make your target datbase the one with the most data and the most customization.  Make yoru smaller datrabases your source database and merge these into the target database.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you for making it clearer to me.  Also thanks for the help, I am pretty sure I got it now.