Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merge test database with real database and keep all new customized fields.

Copper Contributor

Merge test database with real database and keep all new customized fields.

Hey there,

I'm in a difficult situation right now. We are planning to go from Act 6 to Act 2011. What I did so for was convert a copy of the old Act 6 database to Act 2011 (just to make sure there wouldn't be any issues when doing the real move). I then installed Act 2011 on one of our sales persons computer (so she can get use to Act 2011) and I placed my test converted database on her computer to make it easy for her to get familiar with the new database. Everything worked great and she loves ACT 2011.

The problem is that she made many changes to that test database. She added fields and customized reports. She has spent a lot of time making ACT 2011 work well with our business. At the end of this month is when everyone will be switching over to ACT 2011 so what I have to do is convert the real database. Is there any way to keep the custom fields that the sales person added? 

Silver Contributor

Re: Merge test database with real database and keep all new customized fields.

It is possible, but in hindsight, not the route I would have chosen for you.

You can convert the Old ACT 6 database again, then you would need to merge and map that database into the new database.  Either way it's going to be a lot of work.  IT would be easier and more straightforward to recreate the customizations and reports and protect the integrity of the imported database.  If that is not possible, you will need to take care that the most current data is not overwritten during the import.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Since I have until the end of August before we roll out 2011, I think I may try the merge. Do you know if I can get any information on how to complete this task?

Silver Contributor

Take a look at this one.

How To Import Contact Data From an Existing ACT! Database Into Another ACT! Database

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Hey there,

What I did was save an empty copy of the database that was on the sales womens computer and put that aside. I then took the old Act 2000 database and converted that to 2011 (we'll call that the source database). Both tasks went pretty well. I then exported the contacts out of the newly converted database (source database) into the empty copy database. All my fields and reports that I wanted to keep were all there. The new database seems to be everything I was looking for.

My only question is, Why can't a move that database to the server and point everyone with a new copy of Act to that database. It won't allow me to Copy and Paste. I also tried to share the folder that the database is located in but it doesn't allow the other computers to access that database through Act 2011. Can anyone help?

Platinum Super Contributor

You can't use copy/paste to move the database files because they are locked by the SQL program.  When moving a database it is best to use the File > Backup function within ACT! to create a backup and then use the File > Restore option to restore it on a different computer. 

Should the need be there, you can stop the SQL service through Windows Services and then copy/paste the files.  If using this method, you will not copy the PAD file - it is a pointer file and contains the path of the original location.  Opening the database in it's new location using the ADF will recreate the PAD file with the new location. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

So I'm assuming if I were to share the folder that the current database is in and try and point to is from another computer, then I would have to point the other computer to the shared ADF file? Not the pad file?

Platinum Super Contributor

Sorry if it was confusing, but the answer is no: you will not point to the ADF. When the database is opened on the new computer, it will create a new PAD file - which you would use to open or share the db.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I've recently created a new database by saving a copy of my old database and importing all the records from a source database. Everything seems to have gone pretty well. I had one of the Act users take a look at the new database that I created and she was saying that it is missing the Opportunites that were present in the old database. Does anyone know if there is a way to import the opportunities that I am missing?