Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merge User X field into Notes or History automatically on import if a contact already exists - possible?

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Merge User X field into Notes or History automatically on import if a contact already exists - possible?

Greetings all,

I run a fairly small eCommerce business that sells on eBay, Amazon and a website using Magento.  Some of my customers are repeat customers.  I think I've figured out my import process from a csv file, but the importing to an existing contact is where my issue is.  Here is what I currently have planned out for my user fields:

User 1: Item purchased (most recent order)

User 2: Item Number (most recent order)

User 3: Quantity purchased (most recent order)

User 4: Date (most recent order)

User 5: Total (most recent order)

User 6: Total of all orders

For a customer making a single business this is perfectly fine, but for repeat business is where the problem is. 

If a customer has purchased another item, I want user fields 1-5 to be put into either history or notes so the most recent order stays on the user fields tab of their record.  I'd also like an ongoing total of all orders (if I have to manually enter this it would be okay).  Some people have made 4-5 orders with the business and I expect them to make more purchases in the future due to the type of business I run. 

Can a script be written to do this automatically but only if the current import makes a contact match?  I know that there are addons to do calculations, but again - I want this done automatically after I do an import. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I can of course provide further information if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kurt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Merge User X field into Notes or History automatically on import if a contact already exists - possible?

The ACT! importing doesn't have an option for the opportunities. There is a third party importer called Oakmerge that will import into opportunities. It can be a bit tricky to get the opportunities linked to the contacts but it can be done.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Merge User X field into Notes or History automatically on import if a contact already exists - possible?

What you need to do is use the opportunities to record that information with each sale to a customer recorded as a separate opportunity. What you describe is just what the opportunities are ment for.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy -

Thank you for your information.  I'm just curious though is there a way to do this automatically? I would have over 1100 sales to turn into opportunities and would rather not enter them all in manually.  I don't see Opportunities on the map list when I import into contacts. 

Would I be correct in believing that I would have to copy my csv file to a new file and edit the copy to only show item, item #, quantity, order date, total and contact name and then import that into opportunities?

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Solution
Accepted by topic author Kurt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The ACT! importing doesn't have an option for the opportunities. There is a third party importer called Oakmerge that will import into opportunities. It can be a bit tricky to get the opportunities linked to the contacts but it can be done.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy,

Thank you again for all your help.

Regards,

Kurt