Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merge Remote Database breaks others

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Merge Remote Database breaks others

A while back I had the need to merge a remote database with the master.  After the merge, none of my remote users were able to sync - the process times out when it gets to the 'server schema' portion of the sync. The only solution I've found was to recreate remote databases for my users.

I now have a user that didn't follow instructions and has been using his older database and has information entered that cannot be lost.  I know that if I merge his remote database into the master, I will break everyone again.

What am I doing wrong?  The database has about 6000 contacts, no attachments.  When I do a merge it takes a couple of hours even though there are less than 50 records changed.  It seems that by doing the merge, every record is 'touched' which the remotes see as changes and the large number is what is causing the syncs to fail.  (network sync)

Act 2007 Premium

Any ideas?  I hope I explained this well.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author CraigAustin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Merge Remote Database breaks others

I had a similar situation and it appears that if you merge the entire database it lists every record as being changed which can cause timeout problems. There are some timeout values in a config file that can be extended as one possibility. The workaround that I used finally was to create an empty copy of the problem database, export the user my records and create users in the new database and then do a lookup based on the edit date of the contact record to isolate the modified records and then export only those records to the new database. Finally import the new database into the master database and that shouldn't break the sync.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author CraigAustin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

I had a similar situation and it appears that if you merge the entire database it lists every record as being changed which can cause timeout problems. There are some timeout values in a config file that can be extended as one possibility. The workaround that I used finally was to create an empty copy of the problem database, export the user my records and create users in the new database and then do a lookup based on the edit date of the contact record to isolate the modified records and then export only those records to the new database. Finally import the new database into the master database and that shouldn't break the sync.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks.  That sounds like the solution I'm looking for.  Appreciate it.