Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Memory runs out - Notes

Copper Contributor

Memory runs out - Notes

Act 10 Premium- - - We have been experiencing lots of slowness, we started invetigating the issue by using sniffers and checking performance. Why is it when you click on a note the amount of memory act use keeps creeping up. We have user in act all day and they get virtual memory errors and pc locks up. I did try the act release memory feature but it appears if you do not give it time as soon as it releases memory and you jump back into a note or query the amount of memory it is using jumps right back up. Seems to be a hugh memory leak. For the users that do not hammer act all day the release memory seems to work ok, but the users that are in it all the time it does not help.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Memory runs out - Notes

Is this RAM issue on server or workstation?

How big is the database?

How many users?

How much RAM (server/workstations)?

How fast hard drive (in RPM on server)?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? 

Do you get the same issue if a user is on the server?

Copper Contributor

We have around 80 users of which half are remote sync users.

Avr workstation is Intel Core 2 cpu T5600 @1.83ghz 1 gig memory

Server is Intel Xeon CPU  3.20GHZ 2 gig ram

ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.2.191

Every single machine act slower when do activities or rescheduling them some run faster then other but you can definetly see the cpu spiking when trying to use it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

1GB is about min for the workstations, but I'd recommend 3-4GB on the server for 40 concurrent users .... also a 10K rpm or better drive (hard drive speed is very important to SQL driven by .Net)

I'd go into Windows and set the Page File to 2GB (min and max) in the workstations and 4GB on the server. Defrag first so the Page File isn't created fragmented.

Exclude ADF files from your anti-virus

Remove old cleared activities as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -http://tinyurl.com/5sqzbb

Then try the items in this article - http://tinyurl.com/5uq6r5

I just upgraded a workstation to Premium 11.0   When I login to ACT as a particular user I get a memory leak and ACT crashes. I tried logging into the database on the Server - "as that user" and got the same memory leak. This problem appears to be user specific. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Chuck
Copper Contributor

On my end it is not user specific all the users have the issue. We recently took a workstation up to 2 gig memory and it helped a little but over the entire day memory for act just kept climbing higher and higher to the point of a reboot was needed. I can set the act memory to release but since the users are in it all day longthen you get into the whole once it release it needs to re cache everything causing some hestation in act. Is there anything that addresses the memory leak and the fact that it is a memory hog?