Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Memory Hog - System crashes....

Copper Contributor

Memory Hog - System crashes....

We ahave a user base of around 40 sales reps connecting to the database all day long. Server seems to handle it just fine. However individual workstations are not so fine. For the most part we are running 1 gig of memory, 5400 rpm hard drives and even some duo core cpu systems. Act runs all day on there pc's and they hammer it pretty hard. Looking at the memory act is using thruout the day it just keeps growing and growing until pc freezes and crashes. If I do the whole act release memory thing that is fine but again it causes system performance. These sales reps depend on speed. The only answers I seem to get is throw more hardware at it. So we did up'd some pc's to 2 gig memory and 7200 rpm hard drives. It does help don't get me wrong but it just slows down again once the memory builds back up it just takes longer to get to the point where it crashes.... The problem is not with the hardware you can throw hardware at it all day and it will help but like I said no matter what the memory still keeps building and building. Is there or are they working on a fix for this? Had our head server manager do some testing and it appears when act does a cache of a lookup it is pulling alot more into the cache then just that lookup. And when you do lookups or add notes or add activities you can watch the amount of memory just keep going up and up. If you do set it to release memory, you can watch it release but it builds back up even faster.

any suggestions? ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1...we have 100 license and speed is a must.... It is getting to the point where there is nothing more we can do with it and are starting to look at other options.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Memory Hog - System crashes....

Are you sure it is memory that is the problem?

Try this. On the troublesome machines open Task Manger and choose the Processes tab. Select View menu and add GDI Objects to the Select Columns choices. With Task Manager to the foreground have your user observe GDI Objects for the ActSage.exe process as they work with ACT!. 'Normally' it should be arond the 2500 to 3500 region. If it goes beyond that, rapidly approaches the default limit of 9999 and ACT! crashes, then that is the problem.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Without a doubt, 1GB RAM and 5400 rpm drive will be at the bottom end necessary for ACT!

I consider 7200 rpm drive and 2GB RAM a minimum for efficient use... and more on the server (you didn't say how that was spec'd)

Unless using a database >4GB, the ST edition will only be different from EX when on a server OS... and, even then, will only be useful if running with multiple  processors or 3GB or more RAM. If your server doesn't have those specs, there would be no difference.

As a test, when it starts slowing down, try:

• Start | Run ACTDIAG
  • Tools | Release ACT! Memory
  • OK

If that helps, maybe set the value in minutes to a time that is before it becomes a problem. But this isn't normally necessary as SQL should release RAM when it needs to.

Also try this fix from Microsoft - http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/06/improve-calendar-performance-in-act-and.html

This will help, especially if you have a lot of activities

If you still have problems, after a crash, post the Logviewer and Event logs. You can find how to do this from the link at:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/how-to-get-faster-technical-support-for.html

Copper Contributor

We have already done the releasing of memory and that does help some, I will try the hotfix.
Copper Contributor

Not the GDI it is running at 2821
Bronze Elite Contributor

What we have found  that FreeRam XP Pro is a good shareware product to release RAM. Loads at start up.

Graeme Leo

wdbucur wrote:
We have already done the releasing of memory and that does help some, I will try the hotfix.

If it helped, you can set it to auto release RAM at specific intervals.

If you have enough RAM, doing this or using products like Free RAM will slow your system down as the application will have to get info from the disk that it would normally keep in RAM. But, if RAM is on the low side, then it can help.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Free Ram Pro XP has nothing to do with swapping memory to disk. It is an automatic, real-time memory monitoring and optimisation software.

As practising ACT! Consultant's we use in the field with good results.

It is also a product as recommended to practising ACT! Cerfied Consultant's by a senior Sage ACT! third level support person. 

Graeme Leo

I'm sorry you didn't understand. I never said FreeRAM swapped anything to disk. Where did you read that?

It clears out memory that is used for caching data. Which means if the program requires that data, it has to be re-loaded from the drive.

This means that it actually slows up a system if that system had enough RAM to cache the data.

Proper optimisation of Windows by someone with enough technical skills will produce better results... unless there is limited RAM for the info required.

Bronze Elite Contributor

FreeRam Pro does not needlessly and crudely clear frequently accessed cached data. It has an intellligent algorithm to optimise RAM use.

From experience with the product on my own machines and with clients machines we know it works very well. It does not "slow up a system"

Use of RAM by different applications and the system kernel is more complex than looking at RAM space as one large pooled resource that each process has equal priority too. In 2009 with modern operating systems and Windows Memory Manager working with well designed applications this is all that is required. Tweaking of memory that applied last century and prior to SQL 2000 is no longer applicable. It isn't about constantly tuning a racing engine, if there are problems with memory release as is the case here than it is likely to be short comings of the application.

As experienced ourselves on a daily basis and as sanctioned by Sage ACT! personnel, FreeRam Pro does an excellent job without compromise to system response.      

Graeme Leo