Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Memo field management - copy data from one to another etc...

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Memo field management - copy data from one to another etc...

I upgraded from ACT! 6.0 to 2008 Premium. I am going to have Premium hosted on a dedicated  server at www.godaddy.com. It will be the beginning of me adding reps to my business and sharing data via ACT! I am trying to get my ACT! fixed up.

The memo fields in 6.0 used to text wrap. After the upgrade, they were just labeled character fields and don't wrap.  When I change the properties to memo, it says I have to modify it also in the layout field. I go to layout and I don't see anything I can do there. So, I have given up on trying to make the old fields work for me. The old memo fields just don't wrap the text. So, I thought I would create new memo fields and then copy the data from the old memo fields to the new and then delete the old.  But, the memo fields don't show up in the drop down menu when I go to select the field to copy data from.  I looked and looked in the help user guide - can't figure it out.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Memo field management - copy data from one to another etc...

First, there was no data type for a memo field in ACT! 6. You could make a field 255 characters and, if the layout would accommodate it, the data would work wrap after the field was edited. Character fields do not word wrap in ACT! 2008. The ACT! 2008 memo is a different data type and the edit copy does not include the memo fields. A manual copy and paste from the original character field to the memo field would work.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

First, there was no data type for a memo field in ACT! 6. You could make a field 255 characters and, if the layout would accommodate it, the data would work wrap after the field was edited. Character fields do not word wrap in ACT! 2008. The ACT! 2008 memo is a different data type and the edit copy does not include the memo fields. A manual copy and paste from the original character field to the memo field would work.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks!  How did you upload an icon to get your pic on the forum?  I can't figure that out. 

tdubbe,

Check your private message.  Its the yellow envelope icon towards the upper right.

Copper Super Contributor

A gripe:  By ACT 11, why wouldn't the ACT developers have created the global cut and paste for this activity?  If I can manually cut and paste, why not include it in the Edit version? Seems like such a simple thing.  I sure I'm not alone faced with 9,000+ contacts to manually cut and paste.   It's these little things that seem so obvious and so necessary that make ACT so frustrating.

BTW Roy, I know you're not responsible for the ACT development. I should be griping to them.

It's not simple because of the database structure. The memo fields are actually in a different table from the contact fields.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

My records were much smaller in #. With 9000, is it possible to create an export (include a "tie back" field in your export like phone #) and then import them back using the phone # to merge to the proper contacts?

Can memo fields be added to Templates and Reports in ACT!?

Yes

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Can you share where the memo field is to find it?