Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Maximum records per database

Maximum records per database

We currently use ACT Premium 2010 and would like to know if anyone has any experience of using database sizes in excess of 10,000 records?

The database that we use is heavily customised and has approx 1,000 custom fields, this may or may not be relevant to the overall usability of ACT combined with a large number of client records.

Any views or experiences would be welcome.

Silver Contributor

Re: Maximum records per database

In terms of total records, ACT advertises up to 100,000 records (I believe). We have had at least one user that went much higher.  In terms, We have seen databases with in excess of 1000 fields.  We have one database with 1000 fields and approx 10,000 records and we have not noticed any performance impact on a sufficiently powered machine.  Your mileage may vary.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello derekmc,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. There is no an actual record limit for an ACT! database (which is SQL based), but there is a size limitation when using Microsoft SQL Express as the database server. The limit for this type of database is 4 GB. This applies to the .ADF file for the database. If using SQL Standard, then the only limit is the storage capacity of the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you to both of you for your prompt responses. That gives me a greater sense of comfort that we will not get "tripped up" along the way!

We have over 50,000 contacts and maybe 15 custom fields but we do have a lot of photos attached and 14 years of History and Notes.
Copper Contributor

52K contacts - will increase over the coming months to 60-70K

10K companies

Lots of attachments.

Maybe 25-35 custom fields.

...and now ? Smiley Surprised

...and about size of your database ?

I'd like to install a new database (SQL Standard) with about 100.000 contacts,

If somebody could tell me a feed back !

Thank's a lot,

Christophe

Hello Christophe,

The limit does not have to do with the number of contacts, but rather the size of the database file (the .ADF file). If you are using ACT! 2010 or prior with SQL Express 2005, the limit is 4 GB. If using ACT! 2011 with SQL 2008 R2 Express, the limit is 10 GB. If using the Standard version of SQL 2005 or 2008, there is no limit other than the amount of hard drive space available on the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Greig,

There is a complex situation that defines what the DB max. file size (.ADF) is for ACT to work before looking at SQL version right?

Vista and Windows 7, Servers in 32/64bit to access physical RAM from 2GB -192GB.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

1. The motherboard chipset and BIOS dictates how much physical RAM is available for the OS to access.

2. If the File size is greater than RAM ACT may work but very slow by paging to hard disk for more memory address range.

3. Guessing here, but if ACT was on a LAN server Windows server 2008 64bit 192GB RAM the Client PC's would not work in opening File sizes beyond their PC RAM and OS limits?

Is it correct to say if you ran Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with 8GB RAM, ACT! can not open a DB (.ADF) file size over 8GB no matter what SQL version you have?

The next layer of complex issue to find out what file size ACT! can open is the ACT! version name, what it comes with and what SQL version you can upgrade to.  I see KB article AnswerID# 25219.

1. It's saying if you have ACT! 2010 Basic you can upgrade its SQL 2005 Express (4GB limit) to SQL Server 2008 Express (limit 10GB).

2. If you have ACT! 2010 Prem/Corp with SQL Express 2005 you can upgrade to SQL 2005 or 2008 Standard (no limit in size) or to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (10GB file size limit).

3. If you get Sage ACT! 2011 Premium you get SQL 2008 R2 Express (10GB file limit) ACTDIAG or ACT Help about Database Information.

JM

If I understadn correct what you are saying then I see a fundimental flaw in your thinking. ACT! doesn't open the database nor does it connect directly to the database The SQL server actually opens and controls the database and transfers data between the database fiiles and the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129