Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Maximum records per database

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Maximum records per database

[ Edited ]

derekmc,

I have 65,500 contact records with 159 fields total in the Table, 800 Company records with 51 fields. Running ACT! 2011 Premium with SQL 2008 R2 Express on  Windows Home Premium 7 64 bit on HP Dual Core 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM (max. this Laptop supports).

After years of running ACT 2007-2011 on 50K-65K contact records your concern will be PC performance and if limited on RAM performing Save-As Empty Copy of DB to export out of old into new to shrink the DB size.  This is not easy but is required for me every year since ACT ACTDIAG Reindex DB bug does not shrink the DB size.  DB grows 1-2MB every time I reindex after after changing a few records fields value and or creating History records. When I do a Save-As Empty copy my DB will go back down to 480-525MB.

Don't worry about the Contact record count limits or the ACT application speed for lookups, search, Groups mail merg .  It's good to find out which SQL Standard or Express you need to open the ACT ADF file size, but most important is your PC hardware and OS spec's.  You have 1,000 custom fields for 100,000 contacts I suggest you run several tests before switching company to latest ACT version.

Besure you have a PC hardware/BIOS that can support 8-16GB RAM running Windows-7 Home Prem. 64 bit (supports upto 16GB) with a 7200 or 10K rpm hard drives.  Sold State Drive (SSD) for OS and one for DB files is pricey, but I heard from a ACT ACC their results were excellent, better than getting a faster CPU with 10K rpm drive.

Here is example what I see and do to get my performance back when runnig out of memory.

1. My ADF file size is 712MB

Windows Task Manger Performance tab shows 2.90GB used out of 4GB.

Win7 you can click on Resouce Monitor.. button, in Memeory Tab sort by Commit (KB) to see:

sqlserver.exe is 527,144MB

Actsage.exe is 368,560MB

Run command: ACTDIAG.EXE list the DB to see its size mine 695MB

Note: I have Outlook.exe taking 152,434 MB and a buch of other services sucking up RAM.  Right now my PC hard drive is swapping hard so the system performance is frustrating slow.

Here is why:

Even with 4GB RAM I have many App's using RAM and not much left for ACT.  When you start changing ACT records by doing lookup's, mass change on records fields, adding history records ACT and SQL uses more memory until you need to Close ACT reopen DB, run SQL Server Configuration Manager to Stop and Start SQL Server (ACT7) and SQL Server Browser, and if that does not help, reboot PC.  If that is of no help then its time to dothe Save Empty Copy of DB and export old to new DB.

Results after ACT Tools Database Maint. Detect / Repair Integrity check and Re-index since its been 5 days changed a 145 contact records:

2. My ADF file size is 710MB

Windows Task Manger Performance tab shows 3.14GB

Commit (KB) to see:

sqlserver.exe is 1,186,684 MB

Actsage.exe is 346,012 MB

ACTDIAG.EXE sees size 693.8 MB

Run ACTDIAG.exe Detect Repair and index size grows to 694.9 MB

Run ACTDIAG rebuilds and then re-index the size grows again to 695.4 MB

TaskManger Performance is 2.82 GB

Sqlserver.exe using and grows to 1,248,484

Close ACT wait and Start ACT and reopen DB:

DB ADF fiel size 712MB

Performance drops to 2.04

sqlserver.exe drops to 227,492

Actsage.exe drops to 145,884

My point is you can free up memory quickly but if you don't do the Save-As Empty DB to shrink it 30% you will have to get more RAM or close ACT and restart it a couple times a day depending on what your doing.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

Roy,

Not sure your respnding to my post, but I agree about what opens the DB and COMM sending data to the ACT Program.  No need to go to that level since most ACT users in forum don't care.  They bought ACT and need it to work within the desired RAM and OS configurations.  Which I post the questions what does it take to open a file size over 4GB and if suggesting SQL upgrade to Standard I say that does not matter until you address the OS and PC spec's allow Max. RAM.

Right?

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually the hard drive speed is the most important and the faster the better. Anything below 7200 rpm will have performance problems regardless of the system RAM. More is usually better but 2GB will provide adequate performance regardless of the database size..

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

That's why I provided the details in earlier post how much RAM ACTSAGE.EXE and SQLSERVER.EXE sucks up when the DB ADF size get to 712MB and the system has physical 4GB RAM like my model you can't install more then 4GB.  in my case about 1.9GB RAM used by Outlook, PDF creator, Antivirus, HP Printer drivers, ect.. before even running ACT.  After running ACT for a while Task Manager will show inching up using 3.2GB and hold around there because the system bogs down because OS is now accessing the drive for more memory.

That same post I cover each OS versions Max. RAM and having the latest PC motherboard chipset and BIOS with installed 16GB RAM.  Unless you have enough memory SQL version will not matter if the user DB file ADF size is over 10GB and they updated to SQL Standard 2005 or 2008, or ACT2011 SQL 2008 R2 Epress (limited to 10GB).

That same post also contains info on how to free up RAM taken by the two ACT programs running over time, but it will come to a point the ADF size needs to be reduced otherwise you will be closing ACT and restarting it to frequently.  I even comfirmed the problem with ACTDemo DB and just creating 65K records and making massive field value changes and creating 100,000 history records.  Do that by turning on record to history field changes.

JM

Wow ! Thank's a lot everybody for your help (sorry if i don't speak very well english)

OK in theory ! but someone could give me a feedback in practice ?

What i'd like to know is : how many contacts, companies, groups, fields, size of the database, users, (just see actdiag), configuring workstations and server, which access (web, TSE, local), response time on workstation...good or bad ?

Anyone can share his experience on the use of a large database, or made a benchmark for a customer ?

Thank you very much ! Smiley Wink

Christophe

Highlighted

Oh, i'm sorry,

I had'nt seen the message from JM on March 23,
thank you very much everybody !

Christophe

Smiley Surprised