Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mapping the Vcard Fields

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Mapping the Vcard Fields

The ability to send a vcard is nice when a coworker needs some info. However, I don't want the vcard to send the contact's home phone. Is there a way to unmap that field?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbisbee
‎11-04-2019 08:59 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Mapping the Vcard Fields

First, I couldn't find any way to edit the vCard fields in ACT. I suspect they are hard coded.

If you sync your contacts to Outlook, then editing the Outlook record might work.  Just make sure you select the sync that only does ACT to OUTLOOK and not both ways.

I personally am not a fan of the ACT/Outlook sync.  But that is a personal decision.  

I know that a single click to get what you need in the vCard is desirable, but if it doesn't work for you, then I suggest either creating a report that picks up the fields you want and attach that as a document.  Doesn't give the import features to whomever is using it, but it does leave you in control of what you want to share.

You also have the option of creating a duplicate contact leaving out the personal address.  Mark it private, and then include only the data you want to share.  You will have control over that, but if adding a vCard is something you do frequently, this could be more of an annoyance.  And remember, when you mark a contact private, no one can see the contact.  If you do this, I would recommend creating a new check box field and call it vCardOnly and then create a dynamic group.  From the dynamic group, you can select one or more to include in the eMail.

As an alternative, you could create fields for home address that should not map to outlook.  

Well, this is my 2 cents worth … and I generally get change when I offer it.  

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.0.205.0 Update 3
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbisbee
‎11-04-2019 08:59 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

First, I couldn't find any way to edit the vCard fields in ACT. I suspect they are hard coded.

If you sync your contacts to Outlook, then editing the Outlook record might work.  Just make sure you select the sync that only does ACT to OUTLOOK and not both ways.

I personally am not a fan of the ACT/Outlook sync.  But that is a personal decision.  

I know that a single click to get what you need in the vCard is desirable, but if it doesn't work for you, then I suggest either creating a report that picks up the fields you want and attach that as a document.  Doesn't give the import features to whomever is using it, but it does leave you in control of what you want to share.

You also have the option of creating a duplicate contact leaving out the personal address.  Mark it private, and then include only the data you want to share.  You will have control over that, but if adding a vCard is something you do frequently, this could be more of an annoyance.  And remember, when you mark a contact private, no one can see the contact.  If you do this, I would recommend creating a new check box field and call it vCardOnly and then create a dynamic group.  From the dynamic group, you can select one or more to include in the eMail.

As an alternative, you could create fields for home address that should not map to outlook.  

Well, this is my 2 cents worth … and I generally get change when I offer it.  

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.0.205.0 Update 3
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor
Highlighted

Wow, John, that was a good answer! And lots of options. I think I'll just make a report that has the data I want to print and save that as a document, like you said.

I don't do Outlook sync either I am using Google. I was told by a tech this month that after the first of the year Google will no longer sync with Act! He said what I could do is sync Act! to Outlook then sync Outlook to Google. Bummer.

Thank you for your help!

Dave