Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mapping AddOn available yet?

Tuned Listener

Mapping AddOn available yet?

The only Mapping AddOn with the ability to place multiple addresses onto a map to use for planning a driving route, is BsuinessMap for $350 (with a $100 rebate.... I hate rebates.)    This is a large and complicated program that allows many ways to use maps, but I don't need all that.  I just want to be able to create a Lookup and map those contacts.... simple. 

ACT! links just one contact to MapQuest and I've been trying to grab that url and stick it onto "My Maps", a personalized and savable GoogleMap.  But this isn't working out very well, not to mention it's extremely slow and tedious. 

StreetWizard did this function with older versions of Act, but that AddOn seems to be gone now. 

There's got to be a way to do this!  It's such an obvious need. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mapping AddOn available yet?

Hello FailSafe,

I certainly undestand the need for an application to map out multiple contacts for driving and planning purposes. You mentioned Street Wizard in your post. With that program, you can do a Lookup in ACT! , then use the Export to Excel function to send the list to an Excel spreadsheet, then import that sheet into Street Wizard for mapping. I have tested this out in the past and it works pretty well. This may be a solution you can try until something better comes along.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Unfortunately, StreetWizard won't embed itself into Act 2009... or at least I can't get it to.  I wish it would!  I was careful to close ACT! on my computer before installing StreetWizard, and it wouldn't embed.   The program does load, but it doesn't seem to working within ACT! and therefore able to map a Lookup.  StreetWizard worked great with my older versions of ACT!  but now I'm sunk. 

I know that there is no direct integration between Street Wizard and ACT!. I was referring to using two separate processes in this case...exporting a contact list (from a lookup) to an Excel spreadsheet, then importing that spreadsheet into Street Wizard.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

OK... thanks.  Although not as nifty, that should get me functional again. 

I have not yet exported a Lookup to Excel, so I'll learn how to do that.  If you don't mind giving me the basics so I can get this in place more quickly, I'd appreciate it.  I assume I have to create my Lookup, then set the columns in the Contact List to include all the address fields, and then export to Excel. 

Exactly...you don't even have to change your column structure in ACT! (except for adding the critical address fields), you can just delete the unneeded columns in the spreadsheet after the export.

Greig Hollister

Tuned Listener

Tried it already, got the data onto Excel just fine, but Street Wizard doesn't appear to have an Import function.  I've looked everywhere in the menu, and can't find anything for importing the addresses.  This stinks... I can't believe this is such a hassle given the modern world of computing.  It seems like such an obvious need that many people would want and also a fairly simple programming task.  But then, I'm a materials engineer, not a programmer. 

FailSafe,

I have to apologize. It was not Street Wizard I was thinking of, but Microsoft Streets & Trips. They have a Trial Version you can try out. This is where I was able to test the export and import successfully.

Greig Hollister

The command to import an Excel spreadsheet in Streets & Trips is Data/Import Data Wizard.

Greig Hollister

Something to note on using Street Wizard and ACT!2010:
I'm running Windows 7 - 64bit. In order to use Street Wizard I have to run a XP simulation in the background. This is a slow solution, but it does work for those of you who have not tried it yet.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Here it is, 2011, and we still don't have a solution as fine as the old Street Wizard. I hope your team comes up with something before your competition does. I've just now migrated from ACT!2000 due to the lack of multi-address mapping integration in the newer ACT! products. This is a lot of lost revenue that Sage could have captured, eh?