Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manual configuration of SQL Server Express 2005 on new server & then moving ACT7 instance across ?

Manual configuration of SQL Server Express 2005 on new server & then moving ACT7 instance across ?

Morning All,

We have acquired a company running Act! 2010 Premium. I've been tasked in looking at transferring Act! from their old aging server onto a new server on our Windows domain.

We have a standard configuration for SQL Server where Programs & Tools are stored in D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server & the data files are stored in D:\Data\Microsoft SQL Server. I therefore can't use the SQLINSTALL version on the disk ( as that installs the Tools to the C Drive ( it allows programs & data directories to change but not tools ... that means when I also install management studio express it will also go into C Drive ).

I have doen some browsing / searching and fiollowed the articles in doing a manual install of SQL Server Express, creating an ACT7 instance. However when I run the Act! install program the 'System Checker' process doesn't find the instance. I've checked the registry setting and can see the ACT7 registry setting.

Any suggestions on how to get the Act! 2010 Premium installer to recognise my manual ACT7 installation ???

Once I've got over that 'hurdle' I also then need to get the data across. If I shutdown SQL Server on the existing system, copy over the db & index files over, will I be able to use Studio express to attach the files ?

Many thanks for any help / advice.

Regards

Terry

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Manual configuration of SQL Server Express 2005 on new server & then moving ACT7 instance across ?

Did you follow the manual install instructions to a T ?

As far as attaching, once you have moved the database to where you want it ( there is info in the KB with specifics ), you will open the adf file from within ACT and it will create a new pad file and attach the database for you ( do not bother copying the old pad file from wherever it is)...