Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manual Install of SQL 2005 Server not working (ACT 10.0)

Manual Install of SQL 2005 Server not working (ACT 10.0)

[ Edited ]

Hello

I installed the SQL2005 Server instance manually according to the knowledgebase article (on a fresh installed Windows 2003 Enterprise Server). In my services I can see the ACT7 instance running everything worked exactly as described in the KB article.

After installing SQL2005 I launched the ACT 10 Setup though it never recognized the ACT7 Instance. I double checked the Named Pipes, TCP support everything, but ACT 10 wont recognize the ACT7 Instance, I tried it on a Windows XP Box installing the Microsoft 2005 Server (not Express) with the ACT 10 Trial version, it just got recognized. Why won't my ACT 10.0 connect to the ACT7 instance?

When I try to create a new Database, it just loads and loas but never actually connects.

Do I have to install the SQL 2005 SP1 in order to use ACT 10.0?

Thanks for any help in this matter

Rico Kerster

Message Edited by r.kerster on 09-04-2008 01:04 PM

My ACT Version: 10.0.2 (German)
My ACT License: Premium EX
My SQL Server: MS SQL 2005 Developer Edition SP3 (English)
My Operating System: Windows 2003 Server SP2

Bronze Contributor

Re: Manual Install of SQL 2005 Server not working (ACT 10.0)

Rico,

Did you go through the Knowledge Base article on creating a manual instance as I have found this works in almost every case. Go to the Knowledge Base and type in Manual SQL should get you the right page

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

[ Edited ]

Paul,

Yes I've installed the SQL 2005 Server completely as described in the KB article. I haven't resolved my issue yet, but I guess the KB article assumes there's already a SQL Server installed.

So this is what I did:

Fresh installed Windows 2003 SP2 (no SQL 2005 installed)

Started to install as described in the Sage KB article.

I guess this was the mistake

My next approach is:

Fresh installed Windows 2003 SP2

Install SQL 2005 with a standard instance

Create the ACT7 instance with the help of the Management Studio

Install Act 10

(it's quite confusing to use ACT7 as instancename when I install ACT 10.0 but ACT7 as name is correct yes?) 

any suggestions to my approach?

Thanks in advance

Rico

Message Edited by r.kerster on 09-10-2008 12:43 AM

Nickel Elite Contributor

Is this an English version of the operating system as well as the version of SQL 2005?

Is the version of SQL 2005 something you purchased by itself, as a standalone product?

Is this a 64bit environment, and if so, is this also 64bit SQL 2005 standard?

Why are you attempting to use Management studio to create the instance, the ACT7 instance can be defined through the normal SQL 2005 Standard install wizard.  Just follow the knowledge base article on how to do this.

Once the instance has been created (with a password you have assigned per the KB article), when you begin to install ACT!, you will be prompted for this SA password.  Enter it, and then the SecuriyCmdLine application will automatically make the handshake between the application and the instance, also scrambling the previous SA password to meet the needs of the ACT! application.

That should be it.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

MMcFadden wrote:

Is this an English version of the operating system as well as the version of SQL 2005?

The operating system is German as well as the SQL 2005 server

MMcFadden wrote:

Is the version of SQL 2005 something you purchased by itself, as a standalone product?

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Development Edition
Included in our companies MSDN subscription.

MMcFadden wrote:

Is this a 64bit environment, and if so, is this also 64bit SQL 2005 standard?

No 32bit

MMcFadden wrote:

Why are you attempting to use Management studio to create the instance, the ACT7 instance can be defined through the normal SQL 2005 Standard install wizard.  Just follow the knowledge base article on how to do this.

Because I followed the KB article several times to no avail, so I'm trying to find other ways to get it to work.

MMcFadden wrote:

Once the instance has been created (with a password you have assigned per the KB article), when you begin to install ACT!, you will be prompted for this SA password.  Enter it,

That's where the problem is, I never get prompted for the SA password!

Regards,
Rico Kerster

Nickel Elite Contributor

Are you using a localized version of ACT! (German) or an English version hosting it on a German OS?  If the latter then:

The problem here is that you are using SQL 2005 Standard German edition.

The program is not designed to utilize a localized version of SQL on the backside, that is why you do not get a prompt to enter the SA password.

To get this to work properly, you would need to install the English edition of SQL 2005 Standard, else, allow the ACT! Installation media to create the instance itself on install which would install SQL Express (English) as the backend database.

thanks

-mwm

Matthew McFadden

ACT! is localized so it's a German version.

Is there a difference between Microsoft SQL 2005 Developer Edition and Microsoft SQL 2005 Standard Edition (the support technician said that it should work with both versions of the SQL 2005 Server) The only problem I could run into is that I'd need additional CALs in order to allow more than one concurrent connection.

But to summarize, when following the KB article do I need to have a standard instance of the SQL Server running or can I create just one ACT7 instance (that's what I tried the last 5 days). I haven't yet got the hang of what ACT needs since I can connect to my ACT7 instance with any administration tool like the Management Studio.

Thanks

Rico Kerster

Nickel Elite Contributor

Check your private email.

thanks,

-mwm

Matthew McFadden