Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manager level user cannot delete a Product they created under an ACT Opportunity

Copper Contributor

Manager level user cannot delete a Product they created under an ACT Opportunity

Using ACT Premium v16, as the title states, I was surprised to find out that a Manager user could not delete a test Product they had created under a particular Opportunity in a v16 database I administer.

I checked some KB articles and any documentation on the subject I could find and it appeared that a Manager should have the same rights within the database as an Administrator (other than some maintenance and security related functions).

Am I missing something?  Why would a Manager not have access to delete the Product record they had created?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Manager level user cannot delete a Product they created under an ACT Opportunity

A Manager user role does have the right to add or remove a product from the products table.

In both the Act! in-product Help and the Swiftpage knowledgebase there are tables that lay out the roles and permissions in details. 

The Swiftpage KB article is this one  KB #15284 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Re: Manager level user cannot delete a Product they created under an ACT Opportunity

Thank you for posting that.  I read that exact KB article previously.

What stood out to me was this:

"Manager - The Manager Security Role grants access to all primary functions within the program. Manager users have nearly the same access as the Administrator but are limited in some of the database management and maintenance tools. Managers have access to all things the Administrator does, EXCEPT for the following: Manage Users, Delete Database, Database Maintenance, Restore Database, Administer Custom Tables, or View/Archive Logs."

...And under the Opportunities section, this chart:

...opportunites.jpg

I did not see anything that clearly indicated that a Product created by a Manager could not be deleted by that Manager, just the contrary - it would have seemed that the Manager had the same rights as the Administrator to manipulate that Product within the database.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The Manager user role in Act! is contentious.

Depending on the type of business and the size of the business a Manager role can be quite different and for instance Sales Managers in a larger organisation ought to not have the level of rights that are awarded to them in Act!; that's my view.

The ideal would be that the Act! Administrator of such an organisation could have granular control over what the Act! Manager role has rights to.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog