Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making checkboxes = actual checkbox?

Making checkboxes = actual checkbox?

I'm in the process of editing a custom layout and adding in a field for a checkbox. Instead of displaying (on the final, printed sheet) as Yes/No I want it to display either a check (big X?) or nothing.

Is this even possible? I've read every piece of literature I can find online/from our office but none of them make any mention of this. Any help would be appreciated

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Making checkboxes = actual checkbox?

Hello LCM2424,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

There isn't a function available for making a yes/no field actually look and print as an X. 

An alternate option would be to create the field as 'character', set the field length to '1' and, add the new field to the layout with appropriate dimensions to show a single character of data.  Then simply enter an 'X' into the field for the contact.  Your print would then show either the X or blank.

Greg Martin
Sage

Good to know.

I tried this approach (http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1380...) but it continues to display Yes, Y or an undefined character that looks like a box when I tweak the OnPrint Section Scripts.

Is there any way for me to get around the display of Yes or No for a substituted character instead?

Platinum Elite Contributor

OK you are referring to an ACT! report, that wasn't clear before. What I do is use a custom field and a VB "If" script to display what ever i want in the custom field based on the actual data in the database field. My preference is to substitute an uppercase X for Yes and leave it blank for No.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

It's already been set up as a Y/N field for all the entries previously created. Would this mean re-creating/filling the field for each person  in the DB?

No. The substitution would be made in the ACT! report print out.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I've gone to the print out after editing the VB to reflect X for yes and blank for no and it still displays Yes/No, or a funny character if I get creative & try to use something like webdings to create a check instead.

Is the code in the link I provided above faulty or is this an error from elsewhere?

That Knowledge Base document needs updating. The information about chanracters is using Octal notation and Windows changed to using Hexidecimal codes for characters several years ago. I don't bother with the character codes but use and uppercase X. I think you're leaving out the custom field that you use for display rather than the actual database field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Would you mind if I emailed you about this further? Being unable to paste the code into the body of forum posts makes it difficult for me to see my errors.

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129