Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Make my Act look like theirs

Make my Act look like theirs

My office uses act for admin and sales.

I work remotely and they got me a license.

Their UI is different than mine.  They had someone do Custom UI for their needs.  They did not think that my UI should match theirs.   DOH

Is there a preference file they can e-mail me that will make my act look like theirs.

If not, what is the solution.  Not only are filed names quite different.  But locations and numbers of visible fields are also not the same.

Silver Contributor

Re: Make my Act look like theirs

[ Edited ]

What you need is an database with the same structure as theirs. Same fields, same screen layout.  YOu can do this by making an empty copy of their database adn importing your data into it.  Also consider setting up synchronization or real time access to their databae. That way you can share information effectively.  If you go the route of just using an empty copy of their database, any time you make changes to your database or they make changes to theirs, you are out of sync and it is difficult to get back to the same. Consider synchronization.

Please consider an ACT Certified consultant if you have questions. [Edit: direct contact info removed] I"m happy to anwer your questions regarding this.

Message Edited by ghollister on 02-15-2010 09:09 AM
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

What version of ACT!?

How are you accessing the database? Sync, Web, direct?

Or did they just send you a copy of the database?

Hi Mike,

We are all using 2008 Premium. Until I am sure my fields are set up like theirs I am not inclined to access the database at all or do any syncing of any kind and will simply use Act as stand alone until I get things sorted.

As a work around, I am currently using LogMeIn Free to log into a PC at HQ from time to time.

So you have a local copy...

Is it setup for sync or just a copy?

Not easy to answer your question without knowing how your database was created.

Hi John,

Where do we find that DB structure?  Is there a link to documention on doing that?   Finding it, copying it, sending it, importing it.

Sadly the office spent a fortune on a local Certified ACT person who did nothing to help the field guys or the real reason we even went into ACT.

Thanks

Jerry