Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail merge windows 10 problem

Mail merge windows 10 problem

Anyone else experiecing intermitent problems doing email merges under wondows 10?  I am finding it very hit and miss.  i need to keep repoeating the process for it to eventually work.  

Sometimes it gives no responce at all while other times it appears to be trying to do a merge but quite (no crash).  Shutdown ACT and try again or shutdown Outlook and try again.  Evenutally it will work.

Happens for both single and group merges.

Using Act! Premium Version 16.1.207.0, Hot Fix 2 merging into Outlook something or other.  

Employee

Re: Mail merge windows 10 problem

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your mail merge, I've got a few questions for you to see if we can isolate down the problem.

- Are you using Act! on multiple machines, and are they all exhibiting the same behaviour? 

- What Antivrus/Firewall software do you use, and does temporarily disabling it resolve the problem?

- Which version of Outlook are you using? (Office 2010/2013)

- Has this only began to happen since upgrading to Windows 10?

If you run both Act! and Outlook as an administrator (Right click Icon > Run as administrator) does the issue still continue?

I appreciate with an intermittent issue it's a bit difficult to pin down but if you can give me those details and we can take it from there.

I have not been able to test if the same problem occurs on other PCs but it seems that running as administrator has sorted out the problem.  Well so far I have not had the failures I had before.  

Using Outlook 2013.  I have my winidows firewall disables but anti virus is on.

The problem only started since I started using Windows 10.  

Employee

OK, if selecting 'Run as Administrator' seems to resolve the issue, if you right click your Act! Icon, select 'Properties' then within the Compatibility Tab check the box labelled 'Run as Administrator'. This will prompt the application to run as admin each time so you can open Act! as you normally would.

Actually it started causing problems when I shut it down and tried it again.  I was getting the Object reference not set error when I tried to merge in Admin mode.  Not sure why it was working the first time.

So I went back to running it on normal mode and it was hit and miss. 

Sorry I dont think running as admin is the answer.  I am travelling tomorrow and the next day but might get an opportunity to try again on Friday.  

JM
Nickel Contributor

mattbaxter,

Now and when you notice a problem can you see if you can add files to the Documents Tab.  I am having issue with that part of ACT on Win10 which will crash ACT.  Someone else stated problem with his Custom Menu's on many Win10.  

JM

Employee

If you refer to http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199 this might help you with your issue with the Documents tab.

JM
Nickel Contributor

Keith,

I have an earlier post covering this issue and that KB series of steps does not help, and plan on posting an update what I learned.

After few days going round and round there are a few issues with Win10 that I would not recommend people with ACT upgrade to until there are solid solutions. So far Win8.1 is fine but even gautil /i does not work.

So for now Windows Settings and its security updates is really messing with ACT DLL's.

JM

Bronze Super Contributor

KB 38199 fixed the Doc tab problems for me.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org