Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge to Word Processor Not Supporting Auto-Numbering in Word

Bronze Elite Contributor

Mail Merge to Word Processor Not Supporting Auto-Numbering in Word

ACT! 11.1 Premium using Word 2003 SP 3

If you create a one page template with four numbered items. When you mail merge this template with two contacts, the first page is correctly numbered as 1 through 4. However, you find the second page is numbered incorrectly as 5 through 8 and subsequent pages continue to increase the numbers in the numbered list.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mail Merge to Word Processor Not Supporting Auto-Numbering in Word

I've never tried that one but I'm not surprised, especially if the numbered list ended the page. The mail merge with all the ACT! windows versions has treated the mail merge as one multi page document. That's why you can't use the page auto numbering with a mail merge. The best bet is to use bullets rather than numbers or manually do the numbering in the template.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Roy,

In light of your observation and I agree it is one document that is created at the outset, is this response from another support channel at Sage (GH);

'The issue appears to be resolved in the ACT! Word Processor. It still appears to be an issue in Word 2003, but seems fine in Word 2007 except that the last contact adds an extra number...all previous contact are fine. The workaround would be to use manual numbering instead of letting Word auto-format the list.'

Using ACT! Word processor in most part is not practical or desired. However it appears that the issue isn't the process but the version of Word. I don't use Office 2007, perhaps others could test.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Graeme

My personal observation was that Word 2003 was made to be very aggressive about lists. I seen Word turn something into a bullet list if it just looked sort of like a list. I also had problems getting Word to terminate a list. I've also had problems having a second numbered list following a numbered list numbering correct, I've seen it want to continue the numbering even with a normal intervening paragraph. While the auto page numbering issue in a mail merge makes sense, what you are seeing with the numbered lists does not but I think it's more a Word problems than an ACT! problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129