Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge to COMPANIES ?

Tuned Listener

Mail Merge to COMPANIES ?

Hi guys, aren't we suposed to be able to do Mail Merges to companies ? even the ones that contain no contacts?

We have a list here of 1300+ companies with adress but nothing else, and ACT! isnt letting me send a mail merge letter to printer to all these companies, unless theres a contact attached

any way around it ?!
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Mail Merge to COMPANIES ?

The Mail Merge function will only create documents (emails/faxes/documents) for Contact records.  It will not create them for the Company records.  You would need to create a 'Contact' record for the Company(s).
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I had the same problem - but created a "dummy" Contact for all of the Companies. Essentially the Contact name was the same as the Company name.  And it stored the document history for both.

MY PROBLEM is that there is no way to do this on ACT! for the Web, I can do it on the server, but nowhere else.  The problem is all of my 50 users are web based.  I called ACT! support and never got an actual answer on how to do it on the web version.  Is it just not possible? I can't imagine me having to do all of the mail merges for all users every single time!

Tuned Listener

how can i attach the said dummy contact to each 1300 companies I want to mail to?!

Why isnt there just an option to do a mail merge to companies... this is weird
Nickel Super Contributor

I remember reading somewhere that the center of ACT! is the contact and everything revolves around the contact, so I think that I did not communicate with one company but with a contact (or contacts) in a company, I think the company is a way to organize my contacts, Like groups, So is necessary that companies have at least one contact to communicate.

Copper Contributor

My organization does the same thing (Companies) are the most important thing to us - not neccessarily a contact in that company.  So we send everything, and make all notes, etc within a company instead of a contact.

Instead of adding a "dummy" contact for all companies manually for your 1300, it's way too time consuming to link them.  We used something called "Topline Alerts" - what it does is link the company to the contact, that way the document can also be attached to your company history.

Topline Alerts is an Add/On from Topline Results - I think it is about $99 or so.  It's a pretty handy program, you can also schedule daily backups with it. That's the only way I know of to do it without manually adding them - which I was not going to do!