KTA

Mail Merge Embedded Images using Word

[ Edited ]

Sage ACT 2011 Premium

Shared Database is hosted on Windows Server 2003

Client is Windows 7

Outlook 2010

Word 2010

When sending a email merge using an adt template with an embedded jpg, the recipient does not receive the embedded image.  We tested this internally as well and when we merge to internal emails, they only get a blank placemarker for the missing image.  We can use the ACT word editor and send successfully, but this method will only use bmp's which are much larger and cause the merge to choke with larger volumes.

I found this support article, http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18362 but I can confirm that this is not the issue for us. 

If I take one of the sent emails from the sent merge in the Outlook Sent folder and re-send it from Outlook, the embedded image comes through for the recipient, so there must be some aspect of the send from ACT that is differently affecting the way Outlook sends the embedded image.  I have wondered if it is a Trust issue between Outlook and ACT, but haven't found an answer.

Ideas appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mail Merge Embedded Images using Word

Did you try the last two sections on the KB you mentioned?
Have you tried a small jpg (under 10k)?
KTA

Testing a tiny jpg works.  Not very useful though.  This is not an Outlook or a Word limitation as we can do merges successfully with larger embedded jpegs using just these two programs.

KTA

We were trying to use a 270kb jpg.  I decided to use the ACT word processor as I just had to get this out.  The ACT processor only accepts bmp's and if you submit a jpg to it, it will convert it to a bmp with resulting substantial increase in file size.  However, the ACT processor using bmp's seems to have no limitation on file sizes that it can successfully merge and will send really enormous file sizes out if you ask it to.  It is only using MS Word as your word processor in ACT that has this problem with embedded picture file sizes.

Hi,

I am using another Word Processor instead of MS Word processing tools. I wonder whether it can help with embedded picture file sizes or not?

Best regards,

Arron

KTA wrote:

We were trying to use a 270kb jpg.  I decided to use the ACT word processor as I just had to get this out.  The ACT processor only accepts bmp's and if you submit a jpg to it, it will convert it to a bmp with resulting substantial increase in file size.  However, the ACT processor using bmp's seems to have no limitation on file sizes that it can successfully merge and will send really enormous file sizes out if you ask it to.  It is only using MS Word as your word processor in ACT that has this problem with Word embedded picture file sizes.

You said the ACT processor will convert jpg to bmp to finish the task, I am wondering apart from the file size change, will the image resolution be changed?

This ever get resolved?

Administrator

Hi There,

I've just tested creating a new custom .adt template using Word with an inserted image (110KB), and sent using Outlook with no problems.
Tested using Act v18 and Office 2016.