Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge Embedded Images using Word

Re: Mail Merge Embedded Images using Word

Or possibly its just ACT's way of pushing their email marketing options. Which is very lame if true.

Copper Contributor

You know, I was thinking about that ...

I did sign up for the free 500 list email marketing option last week ... I wonder if that did anything ????

I left a message for Support to contact me about this issue ... I wonder if that will be a possibly ?

Highlighted

I have to be honest and say that as someone that runs an email server, mass emailing and not using a service can be VERY problematic these days as you can get easily blocked and lose all ability to send emails to people.

That said small batches should be fine and a simple mail merge should just work, if they allow for embedding of images then it should not change it.

Seems simple really.

But it never is..

Copper Contributor

I use a 3rd party email server for SMTP ... due to those limitations for outbound per hour most domain emails impose ...

However, I much rather be able to keep all my data in one database (ACT), set up my groups in ACT, and be able to send out my templates from Outlook ...

My mail server service will track opens, bounces, blocks, and clicks, but that is not what is important to my needs ... I just want to easily click and send, and the data is dynamic as I update my one database ...

The 3rd party I use also allows me to upload contacts and create a campaign ... etc ... that is too much work and maintenance ...

I will post a solution if found ...

BTW: I think I mentioned that if before sending there are attachments I can delete all of them and the email sends find ... it just would not be practical to do this for 1000 emails ... so the system will send them properly

Administrator

I think this behaviour is being caused by a known issue.

Defect D-04092 is an issue which causes emails merged though v18 to show the images embedded in the templates as attachments.

There is a workaround for this issue.

By using the Act ! E-mail editor, the emails will send without any images attached , and the selected image will appear in-line as intended.

This can be set up in Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > E-mail System Setup > Step 4

Act!_2016-03-22_10-53-47.pngSelect Act E-mail Editor in the first dropdown

This will change the default email editor when clicking the email button in Act, however this can quickly be changed back to Outlook after completing your mail merge.

Copper Contributor

Yes, that is a work-around.  BUT if you have a mailing list of any more than 10 it fails to work.  So for our Monthly Sales Tip which people have requested, we need to create many many lists of just 10 recipients for this work-around to be possible.

Administrator

Hi all,

The sending of mail merge templates is intended for small groups of recipients. Any larger mailings would be better suited for Act emarketing or Swiftpage emarketing.

The defect has been logged and we will continue working on a fix for the issue to be included in an upcoming release. I apologise for the inconvenience.
Copper Contributor

Yes, this is a MAJOR Defect !

Your workaround is a bad in the butt, and the email crashes more times than sends ...

One key issue is that the Act email editor hates tables being used, and it somehow reformats everything when it opens and it cannot be fixed if you used tables (since there is not Tables Properties in ACT Editor ...

Fonts change, margins, font colors, and spacing all change ... basically takes a very nice looking email and turns it into garbage ...

As to "Better Suited" for emarketing ... is this where ACY has taken this ... this worked perfectly in Act17 and below ... I have sent to lists of 7000 with no issues ... the only thing I had to do is break the list into lists of about 1200 - 1500, because my 3rd party SMTP server could not process all of them at once ...

So when are the developers going to focus on this DEFECT ?  

I am using Act v18 & Office 2016.  While it works fine to use a .adt template send messages that contain images via Outlook 2016, the problem occurs when you attempt to do a mail merge.  The resulting messages no longer have embedded images and frequently show no images, only an empty image box.  I had better success with Act v17 and Office 2010, but it was still not right, just not as ugly as it is presently.

This "feature" makes the Act mail merge function nearly useless and certainly very frustrating.

Administrator

Hi hokufbr,

Depending on the amount of emails you are sending in your mail merge, you could use the workaround I posted above if you were sending small batches of emails, or alternatively for larger mailings, I would suggest using Act emarketing to create your templates and send the campaigns.

Both of these methods should allow you to work around the issue. We are continuing to investigate the issue and are aiming to fix the issue in an upcoming update of Act.