Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge Embedded Images using Word

Re: Mail Merge Embedded Images using Word

Interesting as this might have to do with What version of Outlook is being used to send and receive emails.

V18 and 2016 seem to work - but at least in our case - V18 and Office 2010 do not seem to work.

Administrator

Is the embedded image attached, or is there a placeholder for it in the email body, when sent though Office 2010?

It is attached as a reduced size image that is not normally the same file type as what was emailed out  - so exactly what is described above.

Seems like older versions of Outlook might be part of the cause..

Administrator

What was the image size and filetype before sending?
What was it after sending?

Overt 100kb Jpeg to start converted to a .gif in one case and a .png in another with a size of under 10kb

Administrator

Were you applying any kind of effect, or cropping the image in the Word template?

I have to do more tests - I do not believe anything was added as it was mail merged from an existing template.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been looking for a solution to a problem that seems to have begun after the upgrade from ACT 17 to ACT 18 and possibly after the last support session I had with ACT last week whereas they run a repair on my Outlook 2010 because even though it was listed on the Preferences Splash Screen, once you went in to set the options, it was not listed. If I had tried to email a contact or group of contacts Outlook would not open. This only occurred randomly after the upgrade to ACT 18 ... I have Windows 10, and Microsoft Office 2010. That is some back ground information if it has any worth.

I create lots of emails each month that I send out to 1000's that include images. Have been doing it in ACT for 10 years or more. Now these images since probably last week do not stay embedded into the email, they convert during sending to linked and attached, but they do no appear in the receiver's email but only linked as a attachment that does not show. Regardless of the email client.

I have recreated the email several times, all images are less than 16kb ...20 total images.  When it is in the Draft Folder ready to send (mail merge) the email appears correctly, images embedded and no attachments ... however when I send them they "convert" to attached images in both the sent folder, and the received folder when I send a test email to my other account. In my account, I see the images, but with all the attachments ... the people I send to only see placeholders and the attachments, again regardless what client they use ...

I have attempted every fix listed in Google including a Registry Key addition, and I have combed the options 20 times ... does any one have any ideas how this can be fixed ???

Highlighted

I am beginning to think this has to do with how Outlook and several other programs now handle images that are embedded for security reasons.

Or simply a combination of both outlook version changes and ACT not being the best internet citizen when it comes to how they deal with images.

Copper Contributor

I don't know, but it worked seamlessly for 10 years ...

I did an experiment today ... when the email was in the Outbox with all the image attachments, I deleted all the attachments before forwarding.

The email sent and was received with the images embedded to a test client I sent to ... there were no more attachments and the images were there ...

Now he was using Outlook 2003 ... I also did it back to another one of my accounts and it worked too ... I use Outlook 2010.

There were changes however to the formatting of the table and strangely some text changed colors, and centering of the test and images in the table cells were gone.