Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MSI install?

MSI install?

When I was reading some of the Brochures on ACT 2009 (and earlier versions) such as this , you see "Install and deploy ACT! Premium 2009 using Silent Install for rolling out the Windows product".  And it references a footnote that reads "Delivered as an MSI package. Software to distribute an MSI package is not included. Silent Activation on machines requires Internet access. Users must be machine administrators in order to activate. Silent Install on Windows Vista® requires additional configuration"

I've been deploying MSI's for years, but when you attempt to generate an MST, it tells you that you must use the setup.exe.  Now I know there's often ways around that, and there's a doc file on how to run setup with options to customize a silent install by generating an install script file (Answer ID: 23039) and calling setup.exe instead, but what I was wondering, was if it's possible to do an actual MSI based install where I can customize it using installshield tuner, which is what the document I referenced earlier alludes to, where you can install via msiexec /i "ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0).msi" transforms="ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0).mst" /qb! (I prefer users to see status rather than just an item on the task bar, or else they will think the installation is hung.)

Also, I see it's possible to save the serial in a file, but how does one do silent activation?  I don't want to have to have 40 users typing in all of their information.  I'd rather they just click it and it installs and runs, the way all of my other applications do.

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: MSI install?

Here is a recorded WebEx regarding the Silent install process.  Though this is for a prior release, the principles are the same.

Hope this is helpful:

<<https://sageevents.webex.com/ec0507l/eventcenter/docshow/playback.do?siteurl=sageevents&RecordId=238.... >>

thanks,

-Matt 

Matthew McFadden

Re: MSI install?

[ Edited ]

" Invalid input or system error. Please try again or contact your site administrator."

----

edit:  Disregard... clicking third time was a charm.  Watching it now, I'll let you know.  Thanks.

Message Edited by pfarrell on 11-14-2008 03:03 PM