Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MESSAGE WHEN LAUCH THE SOFTWARE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

MESSAGE WHEN LAUCH THE SOFTWARE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I have installed Act Premium 16.3 under Windows 10. When I launch for the first time the software, I have the message error: 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Employee

Re: MESSAGE WHEN LAUCH THE SOFTWARE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ Edited ]
Hi,

Please check the link below to check compatability of act with windows 10 and known issues,

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38167/kw/Windows%2010
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38170/kw/Windows%2010

Now can you please tell me this error message do you get after logging into the database or is it before logon??

Re: MESSAGE WHEN LAUCH THE SOFTWARE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ Edited ]

I have this message right away when I try to open the software, they don't even go into ACT! I click and 2 second later I have this message.

The compability is OK because I have installed on another computer that have Windows 10 and they work perfectly

Employee

It may be working on another machine (I'm a bit surprised by this due to the fundamental changes Microsoft made to Windows 10, so the fact this is working would be the exception not the rule), but Windows 10 didn't exist when we released v16. It hasn't been tested in a Windows 10 environment so the software is not compatible with that operating system.

This limits troubleshooting on what you can try to get it working - you can try running the program as administrator (right click the desktop icon and "run as admin"),  turn off User Account Control (click on the windows icon, and search for UAC), and ensure you are logged onto the PC as a Windows Administrator. 

I would recommend upgrading to Act! v17 which does work with Windows 10 (however there are still some known issues which we are working on putting further updates out to get v17 to be compatible with Windows 10), upgrading to the new version of Act! which will be released in the next couple of weeks, or installing v16.3 on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC. 

Stan, can you check the problem of what my partner have when they launch the ACT program the message error they have:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Windows 10

Version 16.3 Premium

Employee

Hi,

In certain machines as you said it does work fine when you open ACT. But aCT v16 is not compatible with Windows 10.

The reason it works in few machines is as far as i know might be due to different versions of supporting software's and very less bloat wares(additional software by manufactures) etc. 

I have seen few Dell machines with windows 10 and act v17 never had object reference error message when closing act which was a known error.

i have 2 computer in windows 10 and all of 2 computer the act 16.3 work fine.

Silver Super Contributor

I'm not sure what is causing that issue.  There have been other posts about it though and I think that someone may have posted a fix for the issue.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

Please see my post above, but I'll copy and paste the troubleshooting options which you could try:

* running the program as administrator (right click the desktop icon and "run as admin"),  

* turn off User Account Control (click on the windows icon, and search for UAC),

* ensure you are logged onto the PC as a Windows Administrator. 

The following article is something we would go through on troubleshooting steps for running Act! in a compatible Operating System.

Error: “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” when launching Act!
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38190

The software have been installed with now bug everything is OK. The only problem I have is when I open the ACT, immediatly the program crash or close and I have the message error.