Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lost Data

Lost Data

Hello

We have a user that was in their ACT 2013 Premium database, deleting duplicate contacts and making changes. During this the program froze. She ended the task and then went back into ACT. Now all the Last Name entries for A's are gone.

We restored the database from a few week old backup but the data is still not there. Is there any kind of filter or view setting that would cause the data to appear invisible?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Lost Data

You restored a backup and all the "A" last names are still missing?  If you go to Lookup > All Contacts, then there is no filter.

Could the "A" contacts have been marked private?  Did you change any security on the database, like limited access?

Another option is to look at the history tab of all the My Records (Lookup > Advanced > Users).  Do you see any contacts deleted recorded in the history tab?

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

That's correct they are still missing after the restore. How do I check if the A contacts were made private? When I do Lookup > All Contacts I still can't find the A's.

No changes to database permissions or access and nothing on history tab either.

Nickel Super Contributor

To see if any contacts are private, you have to login as each user and compare the number of contacts you see. 

Try to see if you can find contacts that might have had a the last name changed.  For Example, if you know there is a  John Adams in New York in your database, try doing a lookup for First Name = John and State = NY.  Perhaps a user did an Edit/Replace on the Last Names for a lookup of contacts?  The fact that the backup from a few weeks ago shows this same thing makes me think whatever happened was done several weeks ago.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com
Silver Contributor

In the contact list, bring up the contact field as well as the first name and last name fields.  Some times data is imported and although it appears correct in the contact field, the data is not actually in the first name and last name fields.

Confirm that data is missing by looking at hte contact fields for the records missing data.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider