Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup missing Add or Narrow

JM
Nickel Contributor

Lookup missing Add or Narrow

Is this always going to be or a bad design when using Lookup wanting to continue to Add / Narrow to the contact list view?

Right click on a Group to Create Lookup.

Next perform Lookup on a Contact field and select Lookup option (For the current lookupSmiley Happy missing are "Add or Narrow".

They should never go away.

JM

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Lookup missing Add or Narrow

Sage,

Any feed back to this old question about leaving in Lookup dialog options the Add and Narrow after doing lookup of a Group/Company or from Contact List view you Lookup Selected or Omit Selected?

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

Basically working as designed. Lookups that are started as a query can be chained using the add or narrow options. Lookups that are started, as in your example, using the create a lookup of the contacts in a group or other places aren't actual queries and can't be expanded or narrowed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

I stand corrected working as designed.

Sage,

Please come up with a way I can select multiple Groups and or Companies so I can have in contact list view the means to view and manipulate my data.  Also with that list view be able to go back and add or narrow more to the list and or even right click over a contact detail record field to find and add more contacts to list view. 

All-be-it not a true query but a functions to call Filtering or what have you and not have to yet buy another 3rd party add-on.

Hard to believe no one else brings up the Company or Group in list view then needs to find and more or narrow contact

records.  This helps to compare contact information or while working on a in/out bound call from a Group if the caller has more associates I can right click over contact record field to lookup and be able to what is needed FAST.

I'll check Wish list forum and add this request.

JM

For what it's worth, this way of working has been true since ACT! 3.

The main work around is to do the create lookup from the group and then use Edit | Replace to put a known value in an unused field and then do a query on that value.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

Roy,

It's been a while since I last dealt with this issue, but I now recall why I thought Add and Narrow should always be there, query method or not.

After Create Lookup on a Group then Lookup on a Contact Detail field, Narrow is still an option but no Add.

The work around you suggest I agree I've been doing it since I started ACT!  I still don't understand why more people have not a need for it.  I guess I'm more of a techie than Sales person.

Sage needs to look harder to increase productivity such as number of clicks. They added in 2011 Relationship Tab but no improvements in 2012 to relate multiple contacts in two clicks. They could have under the Tab next to Edit Relationship or to create a custom button on Toolbar taking you straight to "Select from" Current Lookup.

Another example used to work in 2006 or ACT 6.0.  Select the Task List sorted by Date then select from the list a few you need to call, next right click over it select Go to Contact. Contact List view does not list them in the order you need to call them so sorted in Task List.. Let alone Contact Sort should offer sort by Date+Time or Date field and second level Time.

I already put that in Wish list

JM

Another example used to work in 2006 or ACT 6.0.  Select the Task List sorted by Date then select from the list a few you need to call, next right click over it select Go to Contact. Contact List view does not list them in the order you need to call them so sorted in Task List.. Let alone Contact Sort should offer sort by Date+Time or Date field and second level Time.

I already put that in Wish list

I do agree with you about the need to improve features that have been added. It's not enough to add a half baked feature and then not improve it. All that does is frustrate users.

The create lookup from the task list has an interesting story. The way it worked in ACT! 3-6 was accidental inother words an undocumented feature. If fact for all my years in tech support I hever heard of that way of operating until after ACT! 2005 came out and I saw complaints about the date time oder not being retained.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Been a few years but wondering if there is a possibility one day to perform after a Lookup All Contacts a second Lookup with the Add & Narrow options still there.

After doing a create lookup from Group, or Company to Lookup again in a field with the Add option still there?

JM

Administrator

Hi JM,

The functionality still hasn't changed.