Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lookup by Example Not Working with Latest ACT 2010 Update (SP1 - Plus HF1)

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Lookup by Example Not Working with Latest ACT 2010 Update (SP1 - Plus HF1)

I am running ACT Premium 2010, version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1.

Last week we installed the newest update (SP1 - Plus HF1) that resolved several issues we were experiencing. Unforchunately, it seems the update cause other issues. Specifically, now I am unable to do a lookup by example. I searched the knowledgebase for a solution, and while it is a known problem there does not seem to be any solution other than removing any fields that contain decimal places from your layout.  Here is the knowledgebase answer for reference.

I did a search on here and while I did find other members are/were experiencing this same problem, it seems as though it was a while ago. In fact, the thread is considered "solved" as they state a past ACT hotfix solved the problem. My issue is that we never experienced this problem with 2010 until we did the update last week. Additionally, I cannot locate any decimal fields in the Layout or in the Define fields section that we currently use.

Anyone experiencing this or have any suggestions for me? I know I can do a lookup other ways, such as right click on the field, but I use the lookup by example feature so often it's really a shame I can't use it any longer! 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author aes1783
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Lookup by Example Not Working with Latest ACT 2010 Update (SP1 - Plus HF1)

After testing to verify it wasn't our database and the SQL was fine, and using the default layout and the lookup by example working, I determined it must be our layout got corrupted during the update process, either that, or there was something we were using in the layout that just wasn't working with the update...kind of like the decimal field (except we don't use a decimal field).

I figured it out! In about the middle of the painstaking process of re-creating our layout, I figured out it is the Yes/No field that is causing the problem. We have two that we use and after I deleted both from the thought to be corrupted layout, it works! Not that I should be so happy because now we can't use these fields, which one is very important to our marketing department, but there are ways around it. I guess I'm just happy I don't have to redo the entire layout!

View solution in original post

All Replies
JM
Nickel Contributor

aes1783,

I have same version of Premium and from drop-down Lookup | By Example the window opened up and I was able to find records I was looking for in the company field and second find adding a contact name.

Have you tried with ACT's Demo DB?  This will tell you if its your DB layout/fields issue.

JM

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi JM,

I just tried and still it's the same thing. I tried lookup by example contact, company, and a custom field we use. All results in "No contacts were found that meet the specifiied crieteria". 

I also just tried doing a lookup by example on the previous version of ACT (the one we had up until we did the update last week) and it works fine so I know the problem is relative to the update.

Message Edited by aes1783 on 03-15-2010 03:13 PM
JM
Nickel Contributor

aes1783,

Let's see if more specific to layouts which have been a problem with other functions in the past or the SQL AND/OR searching part of problem.

1. Right click over company lookup and after field name change the drop down from starts with to contains.

2. Repeat step1 for Contact name, but change For the Current lookup from Replace lookup to Add to lookup.

3. Repeat step2 for the next field ect..

Do you see the records plus a couple extra since we used "Contains"?

Now create advanced query hit preview button do you get expected results?

If all work I would say there is an issue with your layout maybe got corrupt so create a new one with just couple fields.

You may need to run a Tools | Database Maint.. | Check and Repair.., than following the ACT Answer ID tip ACTDIAG steps.

JM

Solution
Accepted by topic author aes1783
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

After testing to verify it wasn't our database and the SQL was fine, and using the default layout and the lookup by example working, I determined it must be our layout got corrupted during the update process, either that, or there was something we were using in the layout that just wasn't working with the update...kind of like the decimal field (except we don't use a decimal field).

I figured it out! In about the middle of the painstaking process of re-creating our layout, I figured out it is the Yes/No field that is causing the problem. We have two that we use and after I deleted both from the thought to be corrupted layout, it works! Not that I should be so happy because now we can't use these fields, which one is very important to our marketing department, but there are ways around it. I guess I'm just happy I don't have to redo the entire layout!