Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Looking for installation advice on Act Premium/Web

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Looking for installation advice on Act Premium/Web

I'm looking for suggestions on a good way to set up Act v16 Premium Web.  

I have is three licenses for three users.  One of those users will be mobile and working from a laptop externally so I was thinking of doing the following:

a) install premium web on the server, set up the initial database, and share it.

b) install the premium fat client version on two of the office desktops and access the shared database on the server

Will this work, and do you think this a good way?

Do the fat client/web version play well together on a shared database?  

I only ask because I discovered that both the fat client and the web version cannot be installed on the same machine only after I installed the fat client on the server.  So far, the installation process has been a lot of trial and error, with numerous uninstalls/reinstalls as I learn something new and how things should have been done.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pdwalker
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Looking for installation advice on Act Premium/Web

Yes, that way will work ... but, depending on the type of internet connection you (and the laptop user) has, you might find the laptop user would be more productive with a local fat copy and a synchronized remote database

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author pdwalker
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Yes, that way will work ... but, depending on the type of internet connection you (and the laptop user) has, you might find the laptop user would be more productive with a local fat copy and a synchronized remote database

Nickel Super Contributor

The installer for the web version includes both the desktop client and the necessary software to host and configure the web version, so you can absolutely install it the way you've mentioned, and I will second what Mike L says (I don't always do that!) that the remote user may get a better experience using a remote database that synchronizes.  That said, Act! for Web requires little configuration for end users and does not require someone to have another copy of the database.

Best,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Copper Contributor

Thanks Guys,

That's all been very helpful.

Time to reinstall the server again!
Bronze Elite Contributor

If you are intending to integrate to Outlook (email integration), keep in mind that for any particular workstation that may have the fat client installed (Act! Premium) and you also intend to access Act! via Act! Premium for Web (APFW) from that same machine, that only one setup of Outlook integration can be setup i.e. either Outlook integration with Act! Premium (desktop) OR Outlook integration with APFW. The two integrations are not compatible on the one machine. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog