Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Looking for help and advice from a ACC to fix our database

Copper Contributor

Looking for help and advice from a ACC to fix our database

All, 

We have been using ACT for more that 10 years. We were initially using act v11 inside a remote desktop environment and then moved to act v18 premium for web a couple of months back. 

Initially the move was good for the organization but things turned bad really quickly. The web version in I.E is functional and we have all our data but using the web version is very flaky. Our users get kicked out to the login page very frequently and its making it difficult to work with the web version of ACT.  We have been diving into the issues with help from our resellers support team and these forums and have identified the following issues from the error logs:

1. Our database fields are not properly setup ... (we have a lot of character fields that contain data more suited for a memo field, etc.)

2. Our layout from v11 shows up funky in the new layout editor so we had to create a layout in the new version. 

3. Our data has characters like '<', '>' , '$' and we have been told by ACT! that these dont work well with the web version. 

We can take care of items 1 and 2 but I need help in figuring out the best way to get around issue 3.  

What would be the best route for us to take in order to tackle the frequent errors in the web version due to data related issues? Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated as at this point if I cannot get this work reliably for my organization then I have to start planning for a migration to another CRM. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Looking for help and advice from a ACC to fix our database

Are these characters in fields or in the notes and history?

For those in fields it would be possible to do a mas export to Excel and use tools in Excel to clean out or replace the unwanted Characters. Using the ACT records UID it could then all be imported back. A better way after cleaning would be to create a new empty copy of the database, add the users, and then import the cleaned field data back in. Lastly you would the import from the old database in a way that meant you only got the notes, history and activity re-imported into the new clean database.

Sounds like a lot of work but not difficult for someone with the knowledge and experience of doing this before.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response. 

I dont have the experience, expertise or bandwidth in house to take on this type of project. 

Are there consultants that would be able to help us with this task ?

I also see some weird characters in history as our folks were used to copy pasting from rich text editors so i see a lot of formatting and also records that begin with $0. Is there a easy way to clean the data in the history ? I dont want to delete the content. 

Administrator

Hi Praizada,

You can find a list of Act! Certified Consultants near you using our Partner finder tool - http://partners.act.com