Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Long Wait for Login Prompt

Loyal Listener

Long Wait for Login Prompt

After applying SP1 Hotfix 1 to ACT 2010 Premium we are experiencing multiple issues with ACT.

On launch ACT seems unresponsive and we are waiting a minute or more just for a login box.

ACT Oulook.Service errors are popping up intermittently on machines. Errors are System.OutofMemoryException was thrown, sometimes the description is "Unable to retrieve security description for this frame".

Anything related to ACT slows down the computer, Outlook Addin, attaching documents etc.

Information entered into fields is NOT saved. It is entered, but when we go back to the contact the information is just not there.

We have a pretty beefy network, All new servers installed in December of last year. We are running 1 GB to the desktops, and the low end desktops have at least 2 GB of Ram. 

We are using SQL 2008 Standard which we have installed on Server 2008. The server has 8 GB of Ram and 2 CPUs. Currently this is the only SQL instance running on this server.

The workstations are Windows 7 and Windows XP. The Windows 7 computers have 4 GB or Ram and high-end processor.

In addition to all of our issues I have noticed that a lower version client can still access the database, even though the database has been updated.

According to the Important Notes Before Applying the ACT! 2010 SP1
•ACT! 2010 users cannot share the same database with users who have applied the ACT! 2010 SP1. All users in a workgroup must be on the same version to access and take advantage of the new release.

We did not have these issues before applying SP1 Hotfix1. We did have issues with the upgrade and had a warranty issue where Sage support had to reinstall SQL and the ACT7 instance.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? Please help - SP1 has single handedly degraded our network.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Long Wait for Login Prompt

If you sign into your server and open the Act! database, do you experience the same slow response?

Have you tried opening the Act! Demo database to see if it also has the same response? 

Greg Martin
Sage
Loyal Listener

Opening the database on the server has the same results.

On my workstation opening the Demo database is much faster.

Copper Elite Contributor

Step one, backup the database, a couple times, just for fun.

Get everyone out of Act!, on the server, Start->Run->ActDiag, databases, pick your database, right click, Database Rebuild, rebuild each option.

Then from that same main menu, repair, and then reindex the database.  Give logging in a try, did it work?  Awesome.

Whoops, didn't work!  Call database services, Database Repair

The behavior you are seeing is far from normal, and I've got several database on the verge of being too large to open with Act! (for testing purposes), and I'm running the latest SP, give them a call, they should be able to sort it out.

-Nick

Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Loyal Listener

I will give that a try and post back the results. Thanks.

Lori

Loyal Listener

[ Edited ]

Performing the steps you suggested sped up the login on the server, but not the workstations. 

Step one, backup the database, a couple times, just for fun.

Get everyone out of Act!, on the server, Start->Run->ActDiag, databases, pick your database, right click, Database Rebuild, rebuild each option.

Then from that same main menu, repair, and then reindex the database. 

I feel that there is some conflict somewhere when launching ACT, like it has to search for something. (I will plan to contact support on Monday when I have more time.

Not sure if you read the whole history of the issue, but having to reinstall SQL and recreate the ACT7 instance really slowed things down on our workstations. Could the issue lie with ACT! system files installed on the local workstation? Or is the SQL instance not setup properly?

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the feedback.

Message Edited by Synergetic308 on 04-30-2010 12:04 PM
Loyal Listener

Re: Long Wait for Login Prompt and Other Issues

I have not contacted Database repair, I really don't think the issue is with the database.

I ran the rebuilds for each option and reindexed the database.

Performance on the server improved greatly, it is only the workstations that we are seeing the long wait time for the login prompt and other mulitple issues.

Here is a list of the issues we are experiencing since updating to SP1 Hotfix1:

• Long wait time for login box-screen is completely white and sometimes will get message Not Responding 
  • Act Outlook service stopping intermittently
  • Outlook launching very slowly, errors such as System.OutofMemoryException was thrown
  • Notes disappearing
  • Checklist tab (custom fields) will not save information
  • When clicking on a contact in the task list a different contact is loaded, if we close ACT and relaunch, go to task list and click on a contact it will load the first contact correctly, but going back to list and clicking on another contact again does not load the correct contact
  • Emails are not attached to contacts even though the address book is setup, messages are not listed in the Messages not Attached tab for Outlook Addin (right clicking on icon in taskbar and viewing progress)
  • Lower version client (12.0.409.0 Hotfix4) is still able to access the database

We were not experiencing any of these issues prior to SP1 Hotfix1 being applied. I have tried uninstalling ACT! and SQL Instance on my workstation and then reinstalling, this did not improve anything still seeing the same issues.

I believe this may be caused by SQL not being setup correctly. What are my options for getting help? Can I get someone to look at the SQL setup to make sure it is correct? (Hopefully someone who can fully understand what I am saying.)

I am getting very frustrated, the system was working perfectly before the upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions?