Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locking users from a Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Locking users from a Database

Hi folks. I'm moving on well with my upgrade from 6 to 2008 and have another question!

I have 2 DBs, one for all users and then another for the boss who has his own db which is an amalgamation of the copmpany db and his private info.

Currently no one can see his db as it resides in his profile but now it's all on one server. 

The question is, can I lock it so only he can see it. I know I can share and unshare but is there a way of locking it down so only he can see it?

Cheers

Will

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Will_S
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Locking users from a Database

Yea something doesn't add up here, you could also play with sync sets.

But yes to your question on his database just secure the accounts so others don't have access.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Will

The user accounts determine who has access to a database, so if the boss is the only user with a password the database is secure.

Also take a look at private records as an alternative to maintaining two databases.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your help Brad.

I'd love to think that I'd be able to go with Private Records but knowing how impatient this guy is and knowing it's 1000 extra contacts I think chances are v. slim Smiley Wink

If he insists on maintaining 2 speperate DBs I may just move his back into his profile where no one can get to it, kinda defeats the purpose of setting up the server in the first place but hey ho.

If I was just to remove all users from his DB that would stop them from seeing it though right?

The problem with that is I think he sinks the main DB to his every night so would that add all the users again. 

Guess I'll try and see!

Thanks again

Will

Nickel Elite Contributor

If he syncs the two databases, all his personal records will end up in the publisher database. You definitely need to look into making his personal records private to him then no one else can see them.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Solution
Accepted by topic author Will_S
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Yea something doesn't add up here, you could also play with sync sets.

But yes to your question on his database just secure the accounts so others don't have access.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA