Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locking the product name list

Locking the product name list

To have uniform names for business intelligence purposes, I would like to lock the product name list, prohibiting the salesmen from both adding own entries and from editing the product list. Is this possible? I can't find it in the "Define fields" editor.

Any answer is greatly appreciated.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Locking the product name list

This is done through the Tools > Define Fields option.

2 steps:

1. Edit the field and choose: Limit to List.

2. 'Manage Drop-down lists > edit the drop-down and un-check: Allow users to edit items in this list.

For more detailed instructions: KB Article 15335

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately that is not true in ACT! Premium 2011. From the "View fields for:" drop-down list, you can chose Products, but the Name field can't be altered, other than adding or removing history generation. You have a separate "Manage product list" on the tasks bar on the left where you have "Manage product list", but there you can just add or remove items.

Am I doing something wrong?

Platinum Super Contributor

My apologies, I was just thinking of a general drop-down list. You are correct, with the Product list - there are no options for locking it down.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that this is possible in one of the later versions.  I have a customer who would like to prohibit users from editing the products list in opportunities.  I couldn't find a way to get it done in v18.1 Premium.  Hopefully there's a magic setting I'm just not seeing?

Thanks for any insight, and possibly add this to a features request list.

Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com
Administrator

Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately there is no magic setting that enables any limitations on the product list.

I would give Seamless Opportunities a look, it has some very useful enhancements to the opportunities feature.