Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locking linked fields

Copper Super Contributor

Locking linked fields

I want to use a linked field e.g. Company type is a current client or not, and display current or not as appropriate in the Contact records belonging to that Company.

I've set this up and it seems to work, but next I want to prevent the field from being changed at Contact level. I understand if it is changed at Company level then it will be propagated to the Contacts but if it is changed at Contact level it doesn't do anything in reverse. Hence we want to stop users from accidentally changing it at Contact level.

I tried doing this by making the field read-only at Contact level, but then that breaks the link - if you make the change at Company level it doesn't update the Contact!

Any ideas how else to do this?

Re: Locking linked fields

Unfortunately, this cannot be done.  It may be possible through a third party addon, but I am not familiar with one.

Please submit a feature request to be considered in a future version - http://www.act.com/community/feature/

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply David. Wow.

I have submitted a feature request as you suggest.

Joe W,

Can you tell me what version of ACT! you're using?

Copper Super Contributor

Act Premium (EX) v10.0.2

Thanks Joe.  The reason I asked was to make sure I gave you correct information.  Unfortunately, I did.

ACT! 2009 behaves the same way.

Regards,