Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locking Databases To Prevent Theft

Locking Databases To Prevent Theft

Is there anyway to set up a system where by if a remote database does not sychronise with the Master Database the Remote Database will be locked.  This is to prevent users from walking away with all of our data and carrying on using the Database.

I am assuming that by locking the user in User Management and if they do synchronise the database their credential will be revoked and they won't be able to use the remote database anymore.

If they don't sychronise they could carry on using the data though.

Paranoid I know but it is something we have to think about.

Thanks for your help

Act Premium 2008 Version 10.0.1.199
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Locking Databases To Prevent Theft

You can disable the sync for a remote database, but unfortunately there is not a way to make the remote database become completely unusable after a period of sync inactivity. You can change the user's login information so they cannot login to the remote, but there would have to be a sync performed to get that change over to the remote.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Locking Databases To Prevent Theft

Thanks for that information.  Not a very good sales & marketing database system if a salesman can walk off with all of his employers data and carry on with using the data with his new employer. Surely there must be a way to lock the databases if the user does does not sync the database within a predefined time period. I'll be amazed if if something can't be done to protect the data.....
Act Premium 2008 Version 10.0.1.199