Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Locating and moving ADF/ALF files

Locating and moving ADF/ALF files

We're running ACT Premium 2011. I need to locate the .ADF and .ALF files because we're moving away from ACT and integrating into a new program. The transfer team keeps asking me for these files. How do I get them? I tried turning off the SQL server but then I have no access to ACT to run a backup. The only thing I seem to have access to are the .PAD files. I ran a backup already and it's zipped onto my desktop, but they still tell me the files are missing. 

I saw this in another post: 

"The ACT! database alf & adf file is attached to SQL Server and can not be backed up by external backup utilities or applications, unless you stop this serviceYou will have to use the internal ACT backup utility and zip the database to a local drive, or external drive. I run two backups, one for ACT and one for everything else, because ACT must create it's own zip backup."

Help?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Locating and moving ADF/ALF files

Generally the ADF and Alf files are located in the same folder as the PAD file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

I wouldn't recommend doing a conversion from the adf and alf. You're better off buying Exporter, from jltechnical.com, for under $300 which will normalize and export all of the pertinent data from all necessary tables & views, into common formats and eliminate the need to learn the schema. Well worth the low price and the conversion folks will thank you.

mscalici wrote:

We're running ACT Premium 2011. I need to locate the .ADF and .ALF files because we're moving away from ACT and integrating into a new program. The transfer team keeps asking me for these files. How do I get them? I tried turning off the SQL server but then I have no access to ACT to run a backup. The only thing I seem to have access to are the .PAD files. I ran a backup already and it's zipped onto my desktop, but they still tell me the files are missing. 

I saw this in another post: 

"The ACT! database alf & adf file is attached to SQL Server and can not be backed up by external backup utilities or applications, unless you stop this serviceYou will have to use the internal ACT backup utility and zip the database to a local drive, or external drive. I run two backups, one for ACT and one for everything else, because ACT must create it's own zip backup."

Help?

Signature

I found 2 ADF files in the folder that has the .PAD files, but they haven't been updated since 2012. I haven't located any ALF files at all. Do those not get updated when we run a back up? 

Is this the only way to move a database from ACT to Salesforce?

Bronze Contributor

Maybe you missed my previous post - Exporter, from www.jltechnical.com, $249.95, exports and preps the data specifically for SalesForce, instructions included. Easiest and cheapest way to do it. If you would rather have it done for you, contact me privately and I'll provide details.

Signature