Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking current contact to existing company - address updates incorrectly

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Linking current contact to existing company - address updates incorrectly

Using Act Premium V20.1.120.0 Update 4 hosted on local server, Windows 10.

Existing contact, unlink from company (1) and link to a different company (2), at first the company changes but the address doesn't update. After going to 'Update Linked Contacts' the address updates to company 2 however in the field Address 2 which was not blank for company 1 but is blank for company 2 does not get overwritten. The result being I got a hybrid of the two addresses. This might also happen in other address fields, not tested.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil Neal
‎08-02-2018 06:10 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Linking current contact to existing company - address updates incorrectly

[ Edited ]

Blank company fields do not populate to or update the linked contact fields. This has been discussed elsewhere already in depth and SPI states this to be "working as designed". You are just delivering a good argument why this "working as designed"  is simply impractical.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Administrator

When a linked contact is updated - only 'linked' fields are updated.

You can see which fields are linked by going to Tools > Define Fields > View Fields for: Contacts

In the list of fields below, you should see the column "Linked to Company Field" - which describes which field on the company record this contact field is linked to.
Make sure all the fields you want to populate are linked to their appropriate field on the company record.

If you want to change this linkage, you can select the field, click Edit Field in the top left and on page 2 of the edit dialog you can change/create the field linkage.

Hopefully this makes sense, for more info check out this KB:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19170
Highlighted

Hi Jon

Thanks for your feedback, I've checked, and all address fields are linked correctly, including 'Address 2' which is the field I saw with the issue. So that was not the answer. Any other ideas?

linked fields.PNG

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil Neal
‎08-02-2018 06:10 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Blank company fields do not populate to or update the linked contact fields. This has been discussed elsewhere already in depth and SPI states this to be "working as designed". You are just delivering a good argument why this "working as designed"  is simply impractical.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
Highlighted

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'll be sure to hit the spacebar in blank fields in future!
Highlighted
Administrator

Ah seems I misunderstood the issue.

Yes, if the data is blank on the company record it won't overwrite the data on the contact record - I can see how this could cause issues with partial addresses.

You're also right that a workaround would be to enter a space or something to make sure there is SOME data in the address fields.
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

CAVEAT: some fields of some field types either don't accept entering a SPACE or trim them away.. Smiley Mad

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany