Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking contacts and companies

Tuned Listener

Linking contacts and companies

From the ACT Help......

(Note:  The HTML text does not copy into this form.  Where you see blanks below, the work link or linking should appear)

You can lnk a contact to one company. Linking provides benefits such as automatically associating the activities and opportunities and sharing the notes and histories of the contact to its linked company. When you link contacts to a company, those contacts inherit basic company information, as follows:

• Company
  • Address 1
  • Address 2
  • Address 3
  • City
  • State
  • ZIP Code
  • Country
  • Web site

However, when I try to add a contact, the above fields are not populating with the inherited fields.  I checked and the fields above are linked in the define fields tool. 

Is there some sequence of keystrokes that is necessary to make this functionality work.  Users will not want to key in this information all over again if it exists in the company record.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Linking contacts and companies

How are you adding the contact?

You can either lookup the Company and under the Companies menu select Create Contact from Company
Or lookup a Contact already in the Company and select Duplicate Contact
Tuned Listener

Mike,

Thank you.  That is the piece I was missing.  You have to add the contact via the menu option,  Create Contact from Company.

I didn't find this information in the help anywhere.

Thanks again.

Copper Contributor

Hello All~

I have the same issue with standard fields.  I used the "define linked fields" off the company menu to link the contact phone to the company phone.  When using the "create company from contact" feature, only a the default set of fields are populated from the contact to the company.  (address, web..ect).  Not Phone and extenstion additions . 

This is ACT 9.0 premium with the latest service packs.

thanks much in advance. 
mark

mhallberg wrote:
Hello All~

I have the same issue with standard fields.  I used the "define linked fields" off the company menu to link the contact phone to the company phone.  When using the "create company from contact" feature, only a the default set of fields are populated from the contact to the company.  (address, web..ect).  Not Phone and extenstion additions . 

This is ACT 9.0 premium with the latest service packs.

Linked fields only go from Company to Contact, not the other way.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.