Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking contact to companies

Copper Contributor

Linking contact to companies

Hello all.

I've been importing companies and contacts from a CSV file into ACT! 2010, but I'm having trouble relating the contacts to the companies.  I'm getting the companies and contacts from the same CSV file, but I'm importing different fields depending on whether I'm importing a company or contact.  It's actually a list of schools (as we sell educational software), which I'm adding as companies, but for each school the CSV file contains the name of the head/principal of that school in another field, which is what I'm importing as contacts.

I have 'Company' field (which I've renamed to 'School/Company') within ACT! for both companies and contacts, and this field is being filled from exactly the same field within the CSV file, so they are a perfect match letter for letter.  However, in the 'School/Company' field for my contacts, the name of the school is shown as normal text, and is not related to the matching company record I already have within ACT!.  

I have tried to select all my contacts to see what can be done about this, but everytime I try this, the program freezes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuned Listener

Re: Linking contact to companies

There is no option to link multiple contacts to their companies, even if their names matches perfectly (AS FAR AS I KNOW!)

you have to select each contact one by one and go into the top menu into contacts and select Link to company

This may seem like a problem but there's an easy solution, i've just uploaded atleast 500 companies with 500 contacts, and I had to link them each individually

What I did is grab a trial program called WinAutomation (easy to use windows macro creator), which did the select task over and over by itself

(LOOP START) press ALT, press C, press L, then arrow down (LOOP END), with some delay inbetween command to make sure ACT picks up all the commands

I linked 500 contacts under 3 minutes, while getting coffee

for any more help, i'll be glad to reply

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but we have over 60,000 contacts and companies so I guess we'll just have to do without unless there is a solution built into Sage.
Tuned Listener

Still can be done, it'll take about 18 hours of automation, lol
Platinum Elite Contributor

JammyJay,

While you can add multiple contacts to a Company from the task list or using dynamic membership criteria, you can only link one contact at a time. Adding and linking a contact to a company are two different processes. To link multiple contacts to a company record, you will need a third-party add-on software. A relatively inexpensive one that I have heard good things about is Company Wizard.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

So basically I need to spend more money... most of my problems with Sage seem to have a similar solution.
Bronze Super Contributor

That $49.99 will be some of the best money you ever spent if you need what it does...