Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking Fields. If this then that. Contextual Menu. Help please!

HLP

Linking Fields. If this then that. Contextual Menu. Help please!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully help out!

I want to use my database to create a menu/recipe database (more of a planner) for future item rollout.

I want to be able to itemize the:

- 'Ingredients', which give

- 'Toppings', that give

- 'Menu items'

At this stage I'm thinking I want 'Menu Items' (eg a 'Meat Pie') to be CONTACTS.

I want 'Toppings' to be listed in the contact dashboard, in separate fields.

This way I can export all the fields for different purposes, into different spec sheets etc.

There are times however, when I will need to separately export the 'INGREDIENTS' (which form the toppings). 

So ideally i'd like to enter:

Field (Ingredient) 1: Ground Beef

Field (Ingredient) 2: Stock cubes *

Field (Ingredient) 3: Salt

and so on.

But for Field 2 I would like there to be a linked field, so that each time 'stock cubes' is picked, a field next to it (contextually, if that's the right phrase?) displays the ingredients for it.

Why not write them together in the one field? For certain document exports I want just the TOPPINGS field. For other exports I want just the INGREDIENTS listed. I'm pretty sure they need to be kept exclusive.

Please tell me there's an elegant way to do this in ACT. I'm signed up for $50 a month and while Access is just $10 a month... I'm really not looking forward to learning a new piece of software Smiley Sad Surely ACT can handle this?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Linking Fields. If this then that. Contextual Menu. Help please!

I am not sure I would use ACT for this but can see it could work.

You would need an add on that makes the item chosen in one fields drop down list in display a bespoke drop down in another fields drop down list.

ACT does not do this own its own but there is a relatively cheap add-on with this feature, details from URL below -

http://www.exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=95